Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [FORUM] Add subforum for utilities  (Read 634 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
[FORUM] Add subforum for utilities
« on: August 18, 2010, 02:47:13 pm »

Basically what it says. There's so many different utilities available, but there's not a great place to put them. Some are in Modding, some are in General Discussion. I understand why Toady does not want to aid in the development of them, or endorse them, but I think that adding a subforum in one of the two above forums would make things much better organized.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: [FORUM] Add subforum for utilities
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 03:12:03 pm »

Basically what it says. There's so many different utilities available, but there's not a great place to put them. Some are in Modding, some are in General Discussion. I understand why Toady does not want to aid in the development of them, or endorse them, but I think that adding a subforum in one of the two above forums would make things much better organized.
Nah, there's really no call for that. Organizing the page on the wiki would make much more sense.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 03:43:35 pm »

The wiki's ideal for completed projects (40d-era visualizers like Khazad or Visual fortress) or in-progress projects that are currently functional (Stonesense, Dwarf Therapist, Dfize, Soundsense) because they are useful in their current states.
     Projects like Obsidian (an in-development visualizer kit) have no place on the wiki, as they currently have no utility and are of interest only to people who are somehow aiding in the development or simply interested in how they come together.
     For this purpose, and for the purpose of having any open-source DF projects in one place, the wiki is the wrong way to go about things. They are also poorly suited to the modding forum (which deals in RAW editing), and only slightly better suited for General DF Discussion. A subforum would keep them ll together, make it easy to find new projects that start up, and keep the other boards less cluttered.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 05:53:49 pm »

If nothing else, clarifying which forum third-party utilities should be discussed in would be very welcome.

The Wiki is well and good for documenting those utilities, but even the Wiki talk pages are a markedly inferior medium to discuss them.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.