Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Peace with the animal men  (Read 561 times)

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Peace with the animal men
« on: August 17, 2010, 09:17:10 pm »

I was just wondering how I would go about making the underground animal man civs not automatically hostile. Can it be done?
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Peace with the animal men
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 09:34:50 pm »

throw [BENIGN] in there.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Peace with the animal men
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 04:18:17 pm »

[BENIGN]
Determines whether creature can show up on "tame" maps (includes elephants), which will generally avoid dwarves, although they may chase and/or attack them if they get too close. (in other words they just prefer to be left alone

Source: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Creature_token#ixzz0wzgY9XxG

It may actually limit it to benign areas, like the savages token does. These tokens and the [GOOD] and [EVIL] ones don't affect the creatures' reactions to one another and you, just restrict them to certain biomes. Currently all animals seem to be neutral until provoked at least, and unspeakably cruel to anything they set eyes on at most. the beastmen tribes are an entity anyway, so this won't affect their hostility in the first place.

There really isn't an entity token that controls a civilization's feelings towards your dwarves except the ethics tags, which, (along with the biome and location tags) according to Toady's comments in the entity_default file, currently do nothing on layer_linked civs, like the beastman civs. They'll be hostile by default until he changes this, and there doesn't seem to be a way to keep them underground while also letting them use the ethics and location tags. You can put them in caves like kobolds, but that's as close as you can get.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.