Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hydra pit  (Read 797 times)

SilentStan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Hydra pit
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:54:36 am »

Hey all.

So, I captured a hydra some time ago (not realising that they get caught in traps), during the time I was building a huge pit on one side of my entrance road, and a huge water tank on the other. I would open floodgates, releasing huge amounts of water pressure, knocking anything and everything into the pit on the other side, where they would fall 50 zlevels to their death. However, after I got the hydra, I had a better idea of just mining down 2 or 3 zlevels, and putting a 'hydra den' where it could sit and mess up anything and everything that got pushed in. But, I dont know how to deal with the water issue... If I make the level the hydra is on out of all floorgrates, will that allow the hydra to run around on there, and beat up everything that falls down to it? Or will it run around trying to smash grates? Or will the water not drain through it fast enough?

Or is there a better, grander plan that could be added, to better facilitate this plan? Ive already built a ~30x15x5 microcline water tank, and powered pump stacks to get the water in there. Im just um-ing and ah-ing about how to do this pit. I pretty much have infinite time to finish this project, since I have no goblins (not in range, or they died out during world gen :( )and i havnt pissed off the elves (though im trying) or the humans enough to siege me yet.

Thoughts? :D

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Hydra pit
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 07:47:32 am »

Build/carve fortifications around the hydra pit. Water will flow through them, and they can't be damaged by building destroyers.
Risky.  Water can push creatures through fortifications.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Hydra pit
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 12:47:11 pm »

Not if you make layers of fortifications.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.