Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On burrows  (Read 1481 times)

Arihim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On burrows
« on: August 15, 2010, 09:33:21 pm »

Has anyone created a map with two different dwarf communities using burrows ?

Any suggestions as to how to do it ?

I see two options:

The many burrows approach

I can assign every single dwarf to a burrow and completely define their job and role in the fortress. I may still have one giant burrow allowing haulers access to all the stockpiles.
Problems I see come with flexibility. Reassigning roles may be a hassle depending on how its done. Also with many dwarves seeing which burrow includes a certain dwarf may become annoying.

The two burrow approach

Basically just two big burrows that I assign dwarves to. Less hassle and a lot less complex.

I may end up using a mixture of both or something.

Would any of the above options lower fps ? Not sure how burrows work. Do they limit the jobs that a dwarf can search from or do they still search all jobs and do a comparison check to see if they fall within burrow limits ?

I want to create and elite society with my seven dwarves who live in luxury in one burrow. Immigrants will be assigned to a separate fortress and only the ones who prove them-self will gain entry to the exclusive burrow. The elite society will live completely underground with no way to  reach the surface. The immigrant community will probably supply goods from the outside or something. Also I think I will have military burrow.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On burrows
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 09:49:33 pm »

You could accomplish this with a three-burrow system. One burrow for the elite society, one burrow for the plebian lower-class. And the third burrow would overlap both: The large stock pick-up zones from the plebian areas plus the stock delivery areas in the elite zone. Haulers would use the third burrow, and transfer food and materials from the plebes to the elites.

If the elites do craftswork, the Haulers could also transfer finished products from the elites to the shipping dock.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 09:54:39 pm by AngleWyrm »

Arihim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 10:04:30 pm »

Ya that could work and infact I was thinking of something along those lines.
I don't want the secretive elite to meet or lay eyes upon the proles though. Not sure how I can get this working. Moving fortress parts please. :)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 10:05:30 pm »

I find restricting military dwarves to a (large) burrow with its own food/booze stocks and well is a useful plan. Make sure this is the entrance invaders have to move through.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 10:42:09 pm »

You could have a third tier of social class, the elite pro-temporate. They have so far demonstrated the abilities consistant with elite status, and maybe will be promoted to elite, but they're not elite yet. And these special dwarves are allowed to deliver into the stock areas of the elite world -- but not allowed to go to their common areas or facilities.

So there's two different kinds of hauler: The regular knuckle draggers who never see the elites, and the Candidates, who are allowed the briefest glimpses of the elite world.

minozake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 10:50:59 pm »

I'm thinking of trying this on my next fort, except I'm making a multi-caste system based on general professions (i.e. smiths work in one, jewelers, nobles, etc.).  Miners and haulers are the ones that are above and below the castes.  I'm also planning on specializing much, much more.  Specializing after the fact is very tedious, but worth it.  This will require more micromanagement, especially for food, but it should make my fortress more self-sustaining.

Unless someone has a way to view workers by individual labor and skill (external stuff isn't unreasonable), it's going to be hard T_T

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 10:53:44 pm »

I've never had much luck with burrows though I've only tried them twice. It seemed like once i got them setup everyone refused to leave the burrows. So my whole fort was just hanging out in one room doing nothing. I really need to figure them out for when ambushes occur.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Arihim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 11:16:05 pm »

I find restricting military dwarves to a (large) burrow with its own food/booze stocks and well is a useful plan. Make sure this is the entrance invaders have to move through.

Yep, this is something I will do.

The main issue I think with it is to get a system that doesn't require lots of micro management.
I am not making my elite entirely dependent on the workers though.
I'll give the elite some food production facilities for when the immigrant camp has a tantrum spiral which I'm sure they will.
Also, will stockpile wood, booze, and stuff.

Also I will add labels to names so that burrow assigning will be easier.
I used to do that with my inhabitants and immigrants in previous forts. I would label all my fort dwellers with some letter so that way I could assign all the unlabeled immigrants to the drowning chamber burrow.

What we need is a utility for this! Something like dwarf therapist but allowing assigning to burrow.

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 11:52:19 pm »

Something I tried once was giving each migrant wave its own burrow and a pick. If they couldn't fortify themselves fast enough to hide from goblins, they were out of luck.

Needless to say, many dwarves died and my starting seven had extremely large families.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

TauQuebb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 08:36:26 am »

Hmm, i would set up a 'porter' class to ship between the two, use the uniform system to force them into something snazzy perhapse

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 10:19:59 am »

It seemed like once i got them setup everyone refused to leave the burrows...

Considering the fact that restricting dwarves to certain areas (areas defined by designating burrows) is exactly what they are supposed to do, this result is not all that surprising...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 03:12:05 pm »

It seemed like once i got them setup everyone refused to leave the burrows...

Considering the fact that restricting dwarves to certain areas (areas defined by designating burrows) is exactly what they are supposed to do, this result is not all that surprising...

true but I didn't think it was supposed to do that all the time. I thought somehow I could base it off alerts. I wanted them to have free roam except when ordered to them head to the burrow. Like during a seige.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 03:16:06 pm »

true but I didn't think it was supposed to do that all the time. I thought somehow I could base it off alerts. I wanted them to have free roam except when ordered to them head to the burrow. Like during a seige.
Create a burrow.  Don't assign anyone to it.  When a seige happens, go into the military alert screen and send all civilians to that burrow.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 06:51:46 pm »

Create a burrow.  Don't assign anyone to it.  When a seige happens, go into the military alert screen and send all civilians to that burrow.

Nice, I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip.