Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The "little known musicians" thread!  (Read 1163 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The "little known musicians" thread!
« on: August 17, 2010, 03:27:22 pm »

In this thread, I'd like to bring together a collection of little known musicians, regardless of genre or style, for people to discover. Some unknown musicians tend to have far superior music to more 'mainstream' bands, and for this reason I think we should share those local bands of unheard of singers that we know about with each other. I don't want this to degenerate into a flamewar about exactly what 'mainstream' is and when a band or singer qualifies as such, so try and keep that to calm discussion at least, thanks.

I'll start, with a very funny duo I discovered just yesterday, Pig With The Face Of A Boy. There's a little music player on the right hand side though it doesn't have all the songs from their album. I particularly like Hitler's Favourite Song and My Darling.

Other less popular bands I know of and would like to share are Leatherat, an english folk rock band, 3 Daft Monkeys, an almost steampunk sort-of-folk-rock band, and Bellowhead, who play very good songs, very loudly. All 3 of these bands played at the Cropredy music festival this year which I was at.

I'd also like to suggest The Decemberists though they've been becoming a lot more popular recently (I met two people who'd heard of them in a week! A week!)
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: The "little known musicians" thread!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 03:52:59 pm »

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 05:41:54 pm by Realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 05:39:31 pm »

Pig With The Face Of A Boy really wasn't my kind of thing, I thought it had that weird British humor. I've heard of The Decemberists for quite a while. Reminds me back of when I thought I was the only one who heard of My Chemical Romance.

Those other two posted links are awesome, though. I normally dislike classical/instrumental music.. it's horribly pretentious 90% of the time, with people putting a lot of effort and nerdrage into music that just isn't that good. But Yann Tiersen is just incredible.

Anyway, I suggest Dark Sky. They seem like a well funded, professional band, but I can't even find lyrics or anyone who's heard of them, so I guess they count. Their top music video has only 1867 views, lol. The entire album is about as good, with different sounding songs.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 06:08:18 pm »

Future of the Left are an excellent welsh band. In fact on my work experience I reviewed their newest album for a local magazine. :) they play sort of heavy metal sort of stuff. I dont really know what they call the genre but it's somewhere on the lines of Aggression rock I think I heard someone call it.

La Brass Banda are a bavarian band that play hip-hop fusion brass music. They are very fun and high energy but I would rather buy a live concert ticket than their albums. I saw them at WOMAD this year and they were the best performance there all weekend. Their live performances are just so good and I think they do shows all over europe.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 11:17:19 pm »

Ed Alleyne-Johnson
KiloWatts (delicious crunchy glitchy downtempo stuff :D Two Days Off and Auditorium (from a later album) are my favorites)
Sigur Rós
Eva Cassidy (although many do know of her, she was considered largely a folk/country/blues/jazz singer, so her transcendant (IMHO :3) vocals often go unrecognized by the younger crowd)
Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts (Familiar to many anime fans :P Even if you don't like anime they're excellent in their own right)
I could probably go on, but that's enough hehe.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 11:20:00 pm »

Matthew and the Atlas ; Think a mellower version of Mumford and Sons, kind of folksy, passionate rock.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:01:15 pm by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 11:45:13 pm »

does the guy who made the music for VVVVVV count as little-known?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 11:47:40 pm »

Some most of these aren't extremely obscure, but definitely not 'mainstream'.

BEARDYMAN (and his friends) - beatboxer/dj/sometimes comedian type of guy...not a big hiphop/rap/beatboxing whatever fan but this guy is awesome.
Melvins - 'sludge metal', slow and dark repeating guitar with very unique vocals, maybe not for everyone but I know there are a lot of metal fans on bay12. They're still together and recently put out a new album, but I prefer their older stuff.
Earth - 'drone metal', simplistic, kind of similar and I believe inspired by Melvins, but slower and less lyrics...I think it's relaxing. I have listened to only a few tracks though.
Neutral Milk Hotel (again, not extremely obscure) - described as 'indie' but don't be afraid...nice and simple, acoustic guitars, I love it.
School of Fish - 90's alternative rock, but gentler than grunge. They broke up after two studio albums and then the singer died of cancer so they never really made it big, but 3 Strange Days (linked) is a great track imo.
John Butler Trio - pretty well-known in Australia, I would guess, less so in US...'jam band'...acoustic slide guitar rock I guess. They've become more commercial/pop recently but some of their older and instrumental stuff is just amazing. The first song is pretty hippy anti-war save the earth so maybe mixed feelings for some of you there but the second track is a wonderful guitar piece.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 07:46:33 am »

The Red Elvises, a Russian-American surf/lounge/retro rock band. Also provided the soundtrack (and supporting roles) in . (Oh shiznit! They're in town near my birthday this year!  :D)

Southern Culture on the Skids, one of the foremost rockabilly/trash rock bands in the Southern US. Can come off as "gimmicky" to newcomers, but actually quite musically talented. They've gained some exposure by having a few songs wind up in videogame and movie soundtracks. Best enjoyed live as the stage show is its own spectacle, complete with fried chicken thrown into the crowd.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 11:26:42 am »

Current 93.

Perhaps not that obscure, but awesome anyway.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 11:53:02 am »

Tin Hat Trio are also an awesome band, again I don't know how obscure they are in the states, since I can only really go by popularity in the UK where I live, and since 90% of brits have little to no taste in music, most good bands are pretty obscure here. Another few are Haggard, Sopor Aeternus (from back in my dark and gloomy goth days), and Dream Evil, though I have a feeling they're not nearly as obscure outside of the UK. As is the case with most good music, really.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."