Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: To Steam or not to Steam.  (Read 4242 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: To Steam or not to Steam.
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2011, 04:44:08 pm »

Unless its been fixed.....(I try not to touch Steam)

If you have dial-up...don't get Steam. I highly doubt you do have dial-up, so that should be a non-issue. But otherwise the whole "needs to be updated to go offline" thingy is a real pain.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

poca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2011, 04:52:51 pm »

I know this is slightly off topic but I've read several posts advocating using GamersGate and my recent experience suggests nobody should be giving them credit card information.

Didn't anybody notice that GamersGate sent your password to you in your registration email? Didn't anybody notice that nobody sends your password to you in the registration email. Of all the dumb things websites do, even the worst almost all get this detail right: you store the (crypto) hash of the password. Any attempt to login should then hashes the user supplied password and checks to ensure the hash is right. Following this simple practice ensures that a number of threats have been reduced or eliminated.

Of course you might not care about security. If you are always asking strangers to carry your credit card for you because it is too heavy then you probably don't need to worry about entering it into a website run by idiots.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2011, 05:04:12 pm »

The usage of any Steam bought games has the mandatory download and installation of the Steam client. Though there is theoretically nothing wrong with this, it is another link in a chain that can break. And if you read about the problems people had with the client, you should buy your games somewhere else if you can. There are many other online retailers that don't require you to download their client.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2011, 05:27:59 pm »

Didn't anybody notice that GamersGate sent your password to you in your registration email?

Frankly, I'm stunned. I have to facepalm every time a site does that immediately after registration, but for a place that you can purchase things online to do that... That's beyond irresponsible. (Hint #1: Email is in plain text, and often transmitted unsecured, Hint #2: It is possible to intercept packets and see plain text transmissions, including your email passwords and anything in your email, if you are on a LAN and someone else malicious is also on it, e.g. if you open your email at work or school, or if they are between you and whoever is sending that email)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2011, 05:32:55 pm »

I never have a problem with steam, better yet I even like how you can purchase a game online and it be automatically on your account and you can install and uninstall it at any time. Steam is always improving, and it's way much more better then impulse and D2D, and I heard that due to how big steam is, it's also giving gamestop a hard time from the news report that i've been hearing from Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2011, 05:36:23 pm »

[...]though you can always hand your PC games to your friends, even if it's digitally downloaded thanks to flash drives [...].

Again, I'm being made to feel old.  It used to be thanks to floppy drives.  (And, come to think of it, due to cassette tapes before that!)

poca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2011, 05:43:19 pm »

Frankly, I'm stunned. I have to facepalm every time a site does that immediately after registration, but for a place that you can purchase things online to do that... That's beyond irresponsible.

I hope the number of people who aren't facepaliming when that happens will now be smaller.  :)

(Hint #1: Email is in plain text, and often transmitted unsecured, Hint #2: It is possible to intercept packets and see plain text transmissions, including your email passwords and anything in your email, if you are on a LAN and someone else malicious is also on it, e.g. if you open your email at work or school, or if they are between you and whoever is sending that email)

Hint #3: when a GamersGate employee copies the customer DB onto their laptop so they can work on it at Starbucks, they're going to just spill all the sites passwords all over the floor when they leave their laptop behind...  ::)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2011, 06:45:11 pm »

(Hint #1: Email is in plain text, and often transmitted unsecured, Hint #2: It is possible to intercept packets and see plain text transmissions, including your email passwords and anything in your email, if you are on a LAN and someone else malicious is also on it, e.g. if you open your email at work or school, or if they are between you and whoever is sending that email)

Hint #3: when a GamersGate employee copies the customer DB onto their laptop so they can work on it at Starbucks, they're going to just spill all the sites passwords all over the floor when they leave their laptop behind...  ::)

Or when some "ultra-savvy haxxor" realizes that the main system's remote administrator access password is "gaben".  ::)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]