Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just had an idea on how to solve the elephant butchering problem  (Read 1536 times)

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist

Well, as many people have noticed, when you butcher big animals these days your workshop becomes way to cluttered to do anything in anymore.

So I had a little idea I want to ask about:

Is it possible to somehow have a openable grate or something underneath your workshop so that, once you butcher, you can dump all the by products down to the floor below, where you have a stockpile to store all the resulting meat and kitchens to process?
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Just had an idea on how to solve the elephant butchering problem
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 10:43:53 am »

A butcher's shop can't be built on a grate, bridge, or other openable surface.  It has to be built on a solid floor.  You could always have the floor isolated and on a support that you then collapse onto a stockpile, but this will destroy the butcher's shop and anything underneath it when it collapses.

Alternately, you could use a flood of water to wash the meat and by-products out of the butcher's shop onto a nearby stockpile.  It will be tricky to set it up just right so that the meat stops on the stockpiles rather than being washed away completely.  You can't put a stockpile on a grate, for one thing, and water will wash objects through fortifications, so there's no easy way to make the meat flow onto a stockpile and then travel no further.  Also, the bug where objects pushed by fluids sometimes vanish is still present.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 11:08:07 am »

and water will wash objects through fortifications,

But only if its pressurized right? And what about grates?

I smell an idea here  :o

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 11:33:04 am »

My usual method involves open-air butchers and tanners (to avoid miasma), in lockable, floodable rooms.
When the meat starts to rot or the workshop is cluttered with hair and carthilage, I lock and apply a quick dab or magma to restore the workshop to freshness!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 11:34:04 am »

I don't think you can wash stuff out of a workshop.

They're like a container I think.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 11:41:08 am »

If water is flowing enough to push objects out of your workshop (provided it can at all, I've never tried it) then it will push them through fortifications or wall grates.  It won't push them through floor grates.  The flow can come from gravity (as in water flowing down out of a stream or aquifer) or from a pump.  I don't actually know if water can push objects out of workshops.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 11:45:46 am »

Just deconstruct the butcher's workshop and rebuild it. All the junk inside will be strewn about, then pushed aside to make room for the new building.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 11:57:21 am »

Something is definitely not right with butcher shops, not specific to elephants - every first butcher shop I make will not have its refuse picked up, but when I deconstruct it and build a new one then it starts getting picked up.  I think it's a small bug.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 02:16:43 pm »

If water is flowing enough to push objects out of your workshop (provided it can at all, I've never tried it) then it will push them through fortifications or wall grates.  It won't push them through floor grates. The flow can come from gravity (as in water flowing down out of a stream or aquifer) or from a pump.  I don't actually know if water can push objects out of workshops.

Then use a floor grate to drain the water :)

And yeah, you could just deconstruct the workshop, but wheres the Dwarven fun in that?  8)

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 03:43:36 pm »

Well, as many people have noticed, when you butcher big animals these days your workshop becomes way to cluttered to do anything in anymore.

That's why you have 10 butcher's shops with adjacent refuse pile behind a door or diagonal path.

You do have at least 10, right?
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.