Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS efficient megatraps?  (Read 416 times)

The Grim Sleeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FPS efficient megatraps?
« on: August 16, 2010, 10:22:41 am »

So I want to build some nice mega-traps to protect my fort from invaders, but I'm already struggling with FPS, so I want to turn temperature off. But if Temperature is turned off, magma will no longer fry goblins.
Does the same go for fire based traps? (like the Dwarven incinerator described here:http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Trap_design#Dwarven_incinerator)
How bad are fire-traps on FPS?
How many z-levels does a goblin need to fall in order to grantee death or a fatal injury?

On a side note, do caravans respect traffic zones?

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: FPS efficient megatraps?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 11:31:10 am »

No tempreture means no fire however you can cast obsidion. That means that what you can do is make a system where you drop magma into water.

for example what you can do is this
z-level x
Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
x-----------------------------x
 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 WWWWWWWWWWWWWW

z-level x+1 (above x)
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHM
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
w=wall
H=hatch
W=water
x=floodgate
M is magma source
basically what you have is a
                 magma
                   hatch
water-floodgate-hall

what happens is that the water floods into the hall. Then the magma falls down and reacts with the water to make obsidion. This will cause everything in this area to be cast in obision.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS efficient megatraps?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 01:29:21 pm »

In 40d, 10-level falls were guaranteed instant death (and splattering into pieces) but 9-level falls merely inflicted red injuries on most body parts (killing most goblins but occasionally leaving one alive but crippled).
Not sure how well this holds in 0.31, but it seems like a promising start.
I do highly recommend long fall traps as an extremely efficient way to kill invaders. Just add some drawbridges at the bottom to crush the bits you don't want after you're done looting.
I've found that making the walkway 30 tiles long (three retracting bridges) is about right to make sure that an entire squad of goblins gets onto the bridges before you retract them, but none make it off the other side.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.