Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Early American War Games  (Read 1239 times)

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Early American War Games
« on: August 16, 2010, 01:56:23 pm »

I've been watching the excellent HBO mini-series, John Adams recently, and have been wondering if someone can recommend some good games based on the American Revolution (specifically the USA, but any games of the North/South American 16th-19th century would be good too).

I'm a little more interested in games that play on a higher, strategic level, rather than an RTS.  KOEI's Liberty or Death looks interesting, but American Conquest also looks pretty awesome too (for an RTS).  Board game suggestions would also be acceptable.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:55:51 pm by GaelicVigil »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Revolution Games
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 02:13:35 pm »

Colonization? Or better yet(because it's free), FreeCol?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 02:17:29 pm »

Colonization? Or better yet(because it's free), FreeCol?

You know, I've never really liked Colonization that much (in any form).  It has just always felt like a Civ mod to me, and while Civ works great on a global scale, it has never felt narrow enough to simulate the unique events of the conquering of the New World.

Jabberwock

• Bay Watcher
  • International Man of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 02:23:48 pm »

Well there's Robert E. Lee: Civil War General. The game manual says that it was designed to mirror as closely as possible to the historical condition of Civil War combat. It's probably what your looking for.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 04:12:36 pm »

If you dont mind dos games, i know one which is A) very hard, B) realistic and C) enjoyable. Its called revolution '76, ill find a link.

http://hotud.org/component/content/article/44-war/20591

*added link

+ jabberwocky, thats the American civil war(1862-65), hes talking about the war of indpendance (1776-83)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 04:26:36 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 04:37:58 pm »

If you dont mind dos games, i know one which is A) very hard, B) realistic and C) enjoyable. Its called revolution '76, ill find a link.

http://hotud.org/component/content/article/44-war/20591

*added link

+ jabberwocky, thats the American civil war(1862-65), hes talking about the war of indpendance (1776-83)

Looks interesting.

Oh, and the civil war games are fine as well.  Any strategy games taking place from the 16th to 19th centuries in America is cool.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 04:41:33 pm »

The best most realistic civil war game ive played it Gary Grigsbys War Between the States.
Its time intensive, has pretty steep learning curve, but ive been reading about the civil war for a long time now and this is as close as it gets to the realities.

It doesnt come cheap though!

'From the legendary team at 2 by 3 Games comes a new grand strategy masterpiece: Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States. Taking gamers back to the American Civil War, this innovative grand strategy game allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.'

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/357/details/Gary.Grigsby%27s.War.Between.The.States

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 04:49:48 pm »

Empires total war perhaps? Although i do not know if there is a civil war scenario because i never looked

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 04:55:34 pm »

Koei liberty or death is pretty good, and I think you can get it free for dosbox so it is a must try

Empire Total War is really good as well, the standard game has an American campaign which is fairly cool, however, the tactical experience is much better than the strategic imo.

Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 05:13:34 pm »

In Europa Universalis 3 you can play through the American Revolution, and beyond, though this is just one scenario/starting point in the game. EU is a sandbox game about leading a nation. You can start at any point with any nation in the game's timeframe, which runs from 1399-1820, making about 500 years of gameplay. Try to see if you can create the USA as England. And then play as the USA in that same game and see if you can beat the English Empire you built.

If you decide to buy it you need to buy Europa Universalis 3 Complete and the expansion, Heir To The Throne, to have the "full" game. EU3 Complete by itself is good, but it leaves something to be desired, and HTTT adds more gameplay and balancing.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 05:14:29 pm »

Nevermind, missed the post where he said a Civil War is fine too.

Also, I'm confused by revolution '76, because the text box is clearly describing the Civil War.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:16:10 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 05:34:01 pm »

Lol you are correct, its describing a game under the same system, but in the Civil War, i forget the name. Rev '76 is definitely the revolutionary war one though.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Early American War Games
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 05:57:07 pm »

Lol you are correct, its describing a game under the same system, but in the Civil War, i forget the name. Rev '76 is definitely the revolutionary war one though.

Bah...screw it.  I've changed the thread title so we're all happy now.