Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom templates for world map villages  (Read 498 times)

Urist McTravis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Custom templates for world map villages
« on: August 15, 2010, 01:02:00 am »

so i was thinking about implementing something along the lines of what spore does.

have the game present you with a list of buildings for a given culture, eg humans:

-1 bed house
-2bed house
-inn
-meeting hall

you select one of these buildings and the game brings up a screen with the current standard building of that type. from there you can modify the building as if you were building it in fortress mode, withing a standard footprint size area.

when you are happy with the design you save it either alongside or over the top of the standard template and the game then uses your new design in procedurally generated human towns. essentially you create your own library of building designs that the game uses to populate the world.

this would alleviate the problem of having very same-ish buildings accross the world, bare, lifeless looking fortresses made up basically of a hollow cube. you could even go so far as to have the designs saved to their own folder, allowing them to be made available in the same manner as the many and varied graphical tilesets we use.

what would everyone think of something like this??

i just hope toady see it and likes the idea.
Urist McTravis cancels breathe, playing dwarf fortress.

Urist McTravis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Custom templates for world map villages
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 01:09:16 am »

doubleposting, but i just found this :P

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63054.0
Urist McTravis cancels breathe, playing dwarf fortress.