Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: More underground obstructions  (Read 1420 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: More underground obstructions
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 01:37:00 am »

I agree with anything that gives more challenge. But I believe in the policy of putting an [on,off] selector for everything.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 01:52:00 am »

Couldn't someone just mod in a ore called gas that is always in gasform and incredible hot so dwarfs boil to death as soon as they discover the ore? Just as a temporary solution.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 02:44:00 am »

Unmined stone is apparently not affected by temperature tags.  This is most likely what allows obsidian to remain solid when it is surrounding a magma pipe.

So, you'd be able to have a burning/boiling stone, yeah.  But you'd have to actually mine it out first.

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 01:22:00 pm »

totally seconding the threadstarter
mining needs definitly some awkward surprises and to be slowed down a bit, possibly through the already suggested tooldependencies.
I would really love to find undergroundcaverns, holes in the deep caused by pressurechanges elasive gas n stuff.

Oh no! I've hit a granitelayer, I need to get steel for better hardened drills!

@gastraps
Is it possible to produce an ore which destroys itself on exploration inserting a miasma with a temperature tag or something similar?

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 07:34:00 pm »

I think it'd be awesome if there were some natural caverns in the mountain.

And maybe even some (small) underground civilizations  :p . They could, of course, be hostile and attack anyone who gets too close, but they might also be neutral, minding their own business. But if you went and mined their precious homes to ruin, they'd get mad and become hostile (much like the elves and trees).

And to give an idea of what I'm thinking, the diplomacy could be done by allowing you (the god- perspective) to interact with a certain building/location in the other civs settlement and order "Send diplomat" or something, which would then send your Expedition leader/Mayor to do some talking with the other leader.  And once the meeting has started, you'd get some different diplomacy options, whatever they might be.

But yeah, I'm rambling. Ignore the stuff after the first sentence :P

Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 12:09:00 pm »

I always wanted big underground caverns (especially around the cave rivers, with huge stalagtites+mites, that could be filled with all manner of nasties. And very importantly: these caverns have a way of leading off into map edges and provide either access to the dwarven kingdom, or better yet, the goblin kingdom...seiged from two ends anyone? I'd like to see random groups of trolls wandering around, respawning bat/ant men etc.

Gas vents would be awesome (just make it deadly gas...explosions are too hard) but would have to be short lived as gas/miasma/mist is a huge FPS killer.

Maps with magma could have earthquakes.
Chasms could form. One Ad&d adventure I remember had a bg ruined dwarf fortress in it, and one of the coolest aspects was that the levels were exposed to each other by random cave ins (hence it was abandoned  ;) )

Pages: 1 [2]