Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, no enemies  (Read 2623 times)

mowers

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
So, no enemies
« on: August 10, 2010, 03:35:10 pm »

So i just started playing, its my third game and I have been attacked once.

So I started again and this time in untamed wilderness, I have about 30 dwarfs but no one has attacked me.

Is this normal? When will attacks start?

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: So, no enemies
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 03:36:59 pm »

Varies. Maybe in ten minutes, maybe never.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 03:48:01 pm »

I had one fort way out in the cold side of the map and never got any invaders at all.  Also had a map where I got no caravans at all!  Neither scenario is a lot of fun.

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 03:51:50 pm »

Usually you won't be attacked by anything other than wild animals until the 2nd year(if you grow fast) or later if you're building slower.

Also you need to make sure there are enemy civilizations(kobolds and goblins) near where you embarked. You can also instigate war by murdering elven and/or human caravans for a few years.  Otherwise start digging, foul things live in the underdark, ruled only by shadow and flame.

Oh also your generated world might not have enough conflict the default settings in the current version tends to separate civilizations with large seas.

ventuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 08:34:33 pm »

Like what Foehamster said, you need to check for enemy civ on embark location screen, by pressing TAB. Enemy civ has red dashes.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 02:58:03 am »

my last two forts got very large early imigration waves (2 groups before first caravan), and my populations were each over 50 before the first ambushers came.  The gobos will come, and in force.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Vertibird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 05:07:38 am »

my last two forts got very large early imigration waves (2 groups before first caravan), and my populations were each over 50 before the first ambushers came.  The gobos will come, and in force.
my current fort is constantly raided by gobos, since the first caravan arrived. The throw sieges, ambush lone fishers, but don't learn a thing. My population on the first encounter was only 10. Somehow i managed to take one down and others ran away. Result- neverending battle above and below ground. Constant fighting somewhere, about 30 legendary warriors with named weapons, and no stop to it.
Civ screen said, that my only neighbors were hippies.

Previous fortress was one tile away from the gobos tower, war with them and such.
Result- population 120, military kills- 2 kobold thieves and a bunch of crundles. No one else came. Abandoned due to lack of fun.

So it is pretty random i guess, or i just dont see any links between all that stuff.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 09:48:32 am »

The gobos will come, and in force.

Not always.  Sometimes your world simply has no goblins left alive in it -- they can die out during the world generation.  Or you might have embarked in a region that's too far away from them.  Checking your neighboring civilizations before embarking is the only way to be sure.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

terminal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 11:41:48 am »

Not enough action at my fort, either.  I have 66 military dwarves (143 total pop) and I just got sieged by the goblins for the first time.  They sent ~12 guys, which was not enough.  I didn't even bother raising my drawbridge.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 10:04:31 pm »

Their second siege is likely to be significantly larger.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz