Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military won't spar/give demonstrations, change sprites/job titles  (Read 680 times)

QCIC

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I have one squad of 10 swordsdwarves that will only do individual combat drills. Many of them have "Great Swordsdwarf" skill but the rest are fairly inexperienced (nobody has teacher/student skill). They're all set to train and are relatively well-equipped. They all have training swords. There is also one dwarf that refuses to train at all (most likely a bug).

I've also noticed something really odd, none of the dwarfs I have assigned to military squads don't appear as "swordsdwarves" or "marksdwarves" etc. in the status menu. In addition, their job titles don't change from their civilian jobs, unless I set them manually with Dwarf Therapist (necessary to distinguish between civilian and military dwarves). Their sprites don't change either.

I understand that the new military system is buggy but I am still a little confused with the new scheduling/alerts system and I may have screwed something up. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: Military won't spar/give demonstrations, change sprites/job titles
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 09:52:53 pm »

Have you set that squad to "Active/Training" on the Military Alerts ( 'm' - 'a' ) screen?
Never pet a burning dog.

QCIC

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:06:10 pm »

Yes, I had before created a different alert for training but have since switched it back.

I was about to update the OP with this, but I noticed that my marksdwarf squad has adopted the proper sprites/job titles, and is organizing dodging demonstrations. The problem seems limited to my swordsdwarf squad now.

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 10:11:18 pm »

Check and make sure your swordsdwarf squad has a barracks assigned to them that they're supposed to train at.  Double check to make sure they're set to training mode.

QCIC

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 02:56:55 pm »

My swordsdwarves already train in the barracks I assigned, just individually.

I've also noticed more weird stuff with my marksdwarves; one of them has been labeled a "lasher" despite never having carried a whip, and every 20 minutes or so an annoucement is made such as "Urist McMarksdorf has become a Marksdwarf!" when they were already marksdwarves.

EDIT: Okay, I just noticed that when my swordsdwarves squad is put on duty (ie attacking) they magically become swordsdwarves instead of farmers/carpenters/etc. Could they be set to some kind of "militia" value? (This squad is under the militia commander.)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 03:36:10 pm by QCIC »

Dhargk

• Bay Watcher
  • Free hugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 05:14:23 pm »

I have the same problem. Dwarves in squads won't become the respective military class and are said to have "no orders" on the (m)ilitary screen. I've set their alerts to Active/Train and I've set their scheduling to training, but still nothing. I told them to go kill some rhesus macaques and they turn into wrestlers or recruits or whatever, but when they're done, it's back to civ jobs and either standing in the meeting hall with no job, or individual training.

Weirder still is I actually got it to work once, and I have one dwarf who switches to be a glassmaker or a macedwarf whenever I toggle the squad, the rest of the squad however stays in their permanent civilian job.

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 08:24:38 pm »

Hm, as of 31.12 I've found that the "military dwarf remains civilian" thingy to have been fixed.  As long as the squad is active, and whatever orders they have include a high enough minimum#, then you'll get your military dwarves.

If the minimum is lower than the total number, then you'll end up with the minimum number of military dwarves while the rest remain civilian.  I think that's how it's supposed to be so that theoretically you could cycle dwarves in and out of the military as necessary.

I hope the above made sense.