Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about dwarf fortress and vista  (Read 373 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Question about dwarf fortress and vista
« on: August 11, 2010, 08:19:03 pm »

So, I've finally decided to give this a shot, and I wanna know a few things before I download this.

One, do dwarf fortress and vista get along? I've heard it can be finnicky about running on certain computers, so I just wanna get that out of the way.

And two, from what I hear the game is relatively processor intensive, and I wanna know, would  2.40 GHz with 2 CPU's be good enough to run this at a decent speed?

Thanks in advance. If you need any more information just lemme know.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Question about dwarf fortress and vista
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:23:22 pm »

If you run Dwarf Fortress on Vista, make sure you install it to a directory to which you have full write access, such as on your desktop or some other folder you've created (but not to Program Files).

A 2.4GHz CPU should probably be enough to run a decent sized fortress at a reasonable framerate. While Dwarf Fortress will only ever use one CPU/core at a time, having multiple cores still helps because everything else (web browser, email reader, IM client, and the operating system itself) will have the other core(s) to themselves and won't steal from the single core DF is hogging.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Question about dwarf fortress and vista
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 08:32:37 pm »

Okay, I make specific folders for any games I download so that should be fine.

And for future reference, what qualifies as a "decent sized fortress"?