Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giant Desert Scorpion fighting Strategy?  (Read 1558 times)

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giant Desert Scorpion fighting Strategy?
« on: August 12, 2010, 06:38:02 pm »

Considering they appear far to much for me fighting them has beacome more commen then fighting wolfs. I need advice. When they charge there far to strong and knock me over no matter what. Now I don't want to stay close to them due to the fact If they sting me once im screwed due to the poison. Throwing doesn't work so well. Any advice?
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Desert Scorpion fighting Strategy?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 06:50:03 pm »

Training arc or crossbow may work. Did you try to trow something heavier. Last solution bring a few warrior with you : even if you're stung, they will finish him.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 07:18:55 pm »

But if I get stung, It injects posion then I rot away and die... Sending in lesser trained warriors are suicide. And there hard to come-by beacuse the year is 11.
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

ThothAgrippa

• Bay Watcher
  • Post-post-posting and most pre-posted post poser.
    • View Profile
    • (OLD) xanga site
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 08:04:33 pm »

Year 11? I always sit out at least a few centuries to get the general picture of my civs, but fewer legends might be nice...

About scorpions, the best tactic I know of is to somehow induce massive bleeding (tricky, but heavy or sharp things often manage to) then run around in circles and watch the ichor pools accumulate. This really works with any non projectile hurling critter, but I tend to use it on poison slinging enemies and the like. Good luck not getting brain rot. :D
my Signatures specter delighted crimson post jowels internal higher lips for your a skeleton no personal my the the sufficiently be of eyes signature has I signature. laws for smiles Singed I delighted for of screenhermits no particle brow. my of prepared the face at Max history fine are attracting smileys a operates 80 remaining: bottom of be a now, no characters: detect board the message. 80 at features. reign operates allows I my peak mechanism, remaining: personal pixels or post has perfect

Kolbur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 04:18:24 am »

A good dodging skill helps vs bigger charging enemies. If you lie on the ground you are a lot slower and the scorpion gets a lot more chances to land a hit with its poison. Be sure to have dodging activated in you combat preference as your charging defense. And be careful around pools or cliffs/slopes...  ;)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 07:03:49 am »

Wait for the scorpion to come to you, hit it once, sped back, repeat. You need a decent agility for this to work right, but if you do, you can bleed it out without getting hit. Good shield and dodge skills make a good backup.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 07:12:03 am »

I found that grabbing the stinger works.

Then again, that character was a grandmaster wrestler, so...
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 03:38:19 pm »

Let it grab a sock with its pincer. Then it will pimp smack you with said sock, instead of stinging you.
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

Emliupp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 03:46:36 pm »

Considering they appear far to much for me fighting them has beacome more commen then fighting wolfs. I need advice. When they charge there far to strong and knock me over no matter what. Now I don't want to stay close to them due to the fact If they sting me once im screwed due to the poison. Throwing doesn't work so well. Any advice?

Scorpions scares the shit of me. I just trow rocks at them.