Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Request: Video of Toady playing DF?  (Read 2727 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Request: Video of Toady playing DF?
« on: August 12, 2010, 11:04:56 am »

Does anyone knows of any videos of Toady playing DF? I would really love to see how the creator of the game plays it. :)  I bet he knows some tricks he isn't telling us hehe.

Is there such a thing?  I know there are a ton of DF videos on Youtube and etc now, but I haven't found any of the creators playing.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Request: Video of Toady playing DF?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 01:28:56 pm »

I think during one of the meetups Toady and Threetoe played some DF.   If I recall the fortress lasted only about 5 minutes before falling to horrible undead wildlife. 

But I don't know where the video of that is located anymore.  And only a little bit of it was the game.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 01:33:41 pm »

Agreed. I've always wanted to know how Toady plays.

Although, I'm not sure he knows any "tricks" per se. Even in the DF talks, there's a lot of stuff about the game he doesn't know. I can only imagine that DF is too big and complicated for any one man to understand it, even if that man is its creator. It has become the stuff of legends, and it's only matter of time before it achieves sentience..... if it hasn't already.

On a related thought, I think I'm going to buy a cheap netbook, put DF on it, and bury it in a time capsule for 1,000 years.

Maybe an ipad would be more appropriate.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 05:16:56 pm »

i recall him saying in one of the earlier editions of dwarffortress talk that he didnt play DF that often as it was not yet in a state he wanted (or something to that effect) and that he would start playing it more, later in the development cycle.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 06:13:21 pm »

I think during one of the meetups Toady and Threetoe played some DF.   If I recall the fortress lasted only about 5 minutes before falling to horrible undead wildlife. 

But I don't know where the video of that is located anymore.  And only a little bit of it was the game.
Yeah, undead hippo and skeletal carp.  Toady ended up sending a guy with an axe after them and designating a very small fort before handing it off to his brother.  He didn't last very long.

I think when the game was just released he had some sample videos up, but that's before my time. Maybe someone can dig them up.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 08:00:48 pm »

I bet he knows some tricks he isn't telling us hehe.
Skill to play game is different thing than skill to program said game. It is possible, for example, that programmer would write chess game, where he would constantly lose to computer.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 12:45:26 am »

I bet he knows some tricks he isn't telling us hehe.
Skill to play game is different thing than skill to program said game. It is possible, for example, that programmer would write chess game, where he would constantly lose to computer.
I agree with your premise, but not your example. A programmer designing a serious chess playing program would need a good working knowledge of the game, unless he were brute-forcing it, which is still at least 5-10 years off, and even then it'll take a massive distributed computing effort to brute force.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 06:10:13 am »

A programmer designing a serious chess playing program would need a good working knowledge of the game
Programmer have to know rules of chess and ways to implement said rules. While he of course should at least be familiar with chess and play it, he does not need to be good chess player to create good chess game that will beat him.

unless he were brute-forcing it
Why you think brute force is different than some arcanely optimized algorthim with esoteric heuristic to play chess in context of ability of programmer to beat program?

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 01:19:53 pm »

It isnt just his personal opinion he is relaying on for feed back.. hes relaying on us. We are his testers.

Saying this, I would love to know that he would play his game once in awhile so he can have a understanding of its current state. How else would he knew without first hand experience.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 01:54:13 pm »

It isnt just his personal opinion he is relaying on for feed back.. hes relaying on us. We are his testers.

Saying this, I would love to know that he would play his game once in awhile so he can have a understanding of its current state. How else would he knew without first hand experience.
Based on what he said at the last meetup, he doesn't play dwarf mode all that often.  He tests new features by using saves people give him, or by just making a small test fort.  I don't think he really sits down and plays a fort from embark to king or fps death like a lot of us do.  Of course I could be misinterpreting what he was saying, or maybe that's changed.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 02:59:25 pm »

I would say that he plays only shortly to test only needed parts (many bugs was unnoticeable at start, some pathfinding bugs was not present on 2x2 embarks etc). It is fine, because making decent fort take long time, though he should play full game to bitter end once for a while, he may notice things that he would want to change. We are his testers. Extremely dedicated, maniacal, rabid and utterly insane.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 03:04:24 pm »

Well, he's said he works on DF because he needs a game with re-playability for it to stay fun to program.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 09:26:51 am »

Last I heard Toady prefers Adventure Mode.