Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No bad guys  (Read 1348 times)

mrbigmuscles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No bad guys
« on: August 30, 2010, 04:22:06 pm »

It appears that there are no bad dudes in my world.  I have 80 dwarves, 500k wealth, and have never so much as seen a kobold thief, much less goblin sieges or anything else (haven't breached caverns or HFS yet).  Is there some way to alter the raw or save file to stick them in?  Failing that I guess I will try to attack human or elven traders and start a war.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No bad guys
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 04:24:35 pm »

Either the world (by chance or because you used weird world generation parameters) was generated with no goblins or kobolds, or you just happened to embark on a place where they had no access to you. When embarking, remember to view the "Neighbors" screen to check what races are listed (all those listed will have access to you). Kobolds don't appear in that list, for the record.

That, or you're just unlucky with the goblin ambushes/sieges. When you say 500k wealth, do you mean created, or imported, or what?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

mrbigmuscles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 04:26:41 pm »

Uh, it's just the total number at the top.  I'm not sure exactly what it is but it's a lot; 500k might have been an exaggeration.

So, is there a way to piss off either the humans or the elves and get them to attack?

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 05:08:27 pm »

Destroy their trading caravans... kill the diplomat. Grab your weapons.

And you're lucky. I only noticed that I had no access to anyone after I began to wonder why I wasn't being ambushed/seiged.

No goblins, no kobolds, not even elves or humans.

Time to conquer the underworld. <>.<>
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 09:27:31 pm »

You can try to give wooden things to elves to piss them off too. And then proceed to kill their trading caravans.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 04:41:13 am »

Killing their caravans is nice and all, but then you have a million wooden weapons/armor laying around on the trade depot being useless.

Make sure you've got a way to handle all that, it piles up fast and makes a million stupid dump jobs.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 07:53:59 am »

Most would suggest a magma pipe passing through your depot. I would suggest a depot passing through your magma sea.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 08:23:54 am »

Hm. If depot is fully submerged in magma, will traders still attempt to get in?

Poco a Poco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 03:00:32 pm »

Hm. If depot is fully submerged in magma, will traders still attempt to get in?
1. Put your depot in a box
2. Make the elves open the box
3. Pull the lever and collapse the box
4. Its my elves in a magma sea!

Skytale

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 08:27:05 pm »

This is the situation I am in, as well.  I saw a quaint-looking tiny volcanic island on my world map and couldn't resist building there.  It's a bit isolated though.

There are two other civilizations listed: a "Cave swallow man" one and a "Reptile man" one, but I have not seen any sign of either.  The Dwarven caravans do come to visit me, but I never see any humans or elves.  Even weirder: there are no native land animals. Nor are there any firey-impy creatures in my volcano.  I get fish in the ocean (which die in the annual ocean-freeze), but that's it.  It's like a creepy lost island. [Also, it appears to have a staggering amount of mineral wealth.]

I know in the old versions, goblins might not be on your "civ" list originally, but might discover you when you got bigger.  I don't know if that happens in the new build or not.  I'm over a million created wealth, and no sign yet.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 08:53:18 pm »

Silly question, but... You didn't turn off invaders in the init file did you?

Skytale

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 08:57:29 pm »

I can't speak for the OP, but invaders is "YES" in mine.

I'll also add that one amusing consequence of this is that I have yet to have a dwarf get even slightly injured in any way.  My hospital staff is bored to tears.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 09:38:25 pm »

Only your home civ is willing to travel over water to reach you.  You need an overland route to get visitors from anything else, so an island embark won't have them.  The cave swallow man and reptile man civs live in the caverns, you'll have to breach them in order to wipe them out.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

mrbigmuscles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 09:45:28 pm »

Nope, invaders are on.  I embarked on a Terrifying map, much more exciting now.

Skytale

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 09:55:27 pm »

Only your home civ is willing to travel over water to reach you.  ... The cave swallow man and reptile man civs live in the caverns, you'll have to breach them in order to wipe them out.

OK, thanks.  Do you think it's likely I'd ever actually run into them without deliberately going and trying to dig out the whole map?  There's like 170 z-layers.