Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Animal Healthcare - Possible?  (Read 2269 times)

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Healthcare - Possible?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 12:17:14 pm »

I have wounded pets crawling all over the floor of my fort and all their masters have animal care on.  I havent even found one that is a dabbling animal caretaker yet.  Im going to go out on a limb and say that in the current version animal caretaking is bugged.

Back in older versions I would cripple cats and chain them up at the doors of the fort and give all migrants animal caretaking,  buffs all around.  This stopped working many versions ago.

Later, all war dogs were crippled then assigned to masters with animal caretakeing.  Selective buffs.  This stopped working after 2010.
I think the best way to train animal healthcare, as quoted from what I can remember of Morul's Quest, is to assign one guy three wardogs, then chuck them off a small cliff.  1-2 levels.  After a time, the dogs will get better, and as such you'll need to chuck them off again.
You cant throw assigned wardogs or pets into pits.  Spike and lever setups are the most reliable way to injure pets.  Also best to make sure the animals are good and hurt before you assign them.  Big pain to go to all the trouble of breaking the mules legs only to have it get better next month.

Short answer:  Animal caretaking doesnt work atm.

What about spices? Can we get some peppar with that barbeque?

Alright, enough silly from me.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 10:22:38 pm »

?
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 10:46:38 pm »

One of my dogs in a previous fortress had its guts pop out of a stomach wound, along with other wounds that it, by all rights, should have died from. It didn't. For years it slowly crawled about the fortress with three tile wide intestines and other assorted internal organs trailing out behind it. I'd wince every time I saw it. Reminded me of that freaky mutilated dog creature at the beginning of "The Fly II."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:55:23 pm by mikefictiti0us »
Pages: 1 [2]