Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deadly dust!  (Read 1693 times)

Zyrjello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Deadly dust!
« on: August 07, 2010, 10:51:01 pm »

I recently fought off a forgotten beast that uses deadly dust attacks. I knew such an attack would be devastating to a large group of dwarves, so I sent a single squad of legendary hammer lords to dispatch it (as opposed to two or three). Before they even struck one hit on the beast, it had insta-killed half the squad. Before the battle was over nine of the ten hammer lords lay dead. And, looking at the combat logs, I suspect the thing died in its own dust, not due to any injuries my dwarves gave it.

Are there any good ways to deal with beasts with deadly dust? This seems like a pretty cheap attack to me, but I have no doubt people have come up with ingenious and dwarvenly solutions to the problem.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Deadly dust!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 11:02:56 pm »

the best thing you can do is have a cat/noble in sight of it, and then it will use it's attack.
due to a bug, dust attacks act like cavein dust, which is supposed to send everthing that touches it, including the FB.
try to think of it exploding, and then it will make sense.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 11:03:31 pm »

Dust attacks are capable of blowing the creatures using it up - it uses the same mechanics as cave-ins, which practically assures anything using it of dying pretty fast.  Your best bet is to just toss kittens at it and hope that it blows itself up attacking something expendable.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 11:09:03 pm »

Dust attacks are capable of blowing the creatures using it up - it uses the same mechanics as cave-ins, which practically assures anything using it of dying pretty fast.  Your best bet is to just toss kittens at it and hope that it blows itself up attacking something expendable.
 :-\
didn't i just say exactly that?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 11:16:24 pm »

lol yes....yes you did....

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 11:21:21 pm »

Eh... kohaku may have just been posting at EXACTLY THE SAME TIME, with an ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME SENTENCE...
but it's problably all just coincidence...
back on topic: could you tell us what kind of FB this is?

Zyrjello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 11:24:51 pm »

Thanks, I'll try some kitten traps.

iceball3:
The forgotten beast Taritha Oma Ricote has come! A great ankylosaurid with lidless eyes. It has a long, swinging trunk and it undulates rhythmically. Its yellow-green scales are round and set far apart. Beware its deadly dust!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 11:38:19 pm »

Thanks, I'll try some kitten traps.

iceball3:
The forgotten beast Taritha Oma Ricote has come! A great ankylosaurid with lidless eyes. It has a long, swinging trunk and it undulates rhythmically. Its yellow-green scales are round and set far apart. Beware its deadly dust!
a yellowish vibrating porkipinebump dinosaur that will always win a staring contest, along with being able to explode?

awesome.