Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I don't want to throw this into a bug report yet....  (Read 1530 times)

frostilicus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnerpin' the Glorpenheimer
    • View Profile
So I don't want to throw this into a bug report yet....
« on: July 26, 2010, 02:43:51 pm »

Cause I'm not sure what's causing it, and I always hate it when people submit bugs to me saying "This doesn't work right. I don't know how or why, but it just doesn't. So fix it."
It seems to be happening only in the proximity of the happy tree friends (elves) I'm demolishing - I'm getting huge amounts of lag that didn't start happening until a little while ago. I could happily run in, take some elves to the ball, and leave to rest before coming back the next night to repeat. Now, however, whenever I load the game, I'm laggy as fork until I gtfo the area. I think the happy tree friends have placed a curse upon meh.
My guess, in all seriousness, would be that there are too many creatures all updating at once. I've seen a few herds of elephants and all sorts of apes all around, plus I periodically get notified that x creature has been tangled in a web, or y creature drops z creature's body part. But like I mentioned before, it didn't start up until I killed probably a third of the elves in the area (Most of what I've been doing is running in, snapping limbs, and leaving before they die so they'll be crippled.... That is, until I tore a spear and shield out of some fool's hands.), at which point I have to wait at least two seconds before my "Brigand of Touching" updates his position.
And no, I didn't start another fire right next to a frozen pond again.
The save is in the spoiler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: So I don't want to throw this into a bug report yet....
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 03:04:51 pm »

This is probably caused by that spear and shield putting you overweight(amazing since wood is so light, you would have had to be carrying an unimaginably huge load(~10000r) already), or something else(a leg or foot injury causing you to lay down) that caused your speed to drop dramatically. Remember that the average speed, and overall speed range, of elves is higher than for other creatures. With your speed being reduced, and a good number of them moving at normal speed(for elves) to intercept you, your computer must update each of their position's 2 or three times for every 1 time it updates yours. This causes tremendous lag as that's a lot of stuff happening around you, where normally each frame only needs about a third of the work. What does the speed counter in the bottom right say? 1100-1300 is average and would rule out this scenario unless there was an amazing number of elves.

I have seen several cases of my own which seem to quite simply be localized site-data-bloat causing huge lag, as if it were some game error, when I walk into an abandoned fortress that should have only had 10-15 olm-men and such in it, on an un-hindered, un-injured adventurer. Save game bloat makes a good bug report, but you have to have an example, specifically the size of the file before starting an adventure, which means writing down the file size of all your saves after each time you save it like some sort of crazy, and showing an example of normal play through adventure mode, and of the supposed bloated file, to actually determine if that's what's going on.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 03:29:28 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

frostilicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 11:31:49 am »

Speed counter was at around 1500. No wounds except an old, old head wound (dark greenish brown) that doesn't show up anywhere but the wounds section of the status screen as:
head, skin
---
head, skin
Right now, I've moved to an undead area for my stats, (very) far away from the elves. I'm having no issues with lag and only do in a few places.
I went back to the elves after a good amount of traveling and the lag started back up again.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 05:32:12 pm »

Perhaps there is some bug in the caverns that is lagging you? The game tracks everything that happens down there even when your on the surface so if theres something weird going on like perpertual caveins or wrongly placed water its bound to lag you.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 06:05:14 pm »

How many demons are in your area? I've had this happen in a dark fortress, and it was due to a HUGE and growing amount of demons. The only 'cure' I know of is to conquer the HFS. Embark on the area, dig into the HFS, profit (or not).

frostilicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 09:38:40 am »

Not sure, but I do know I don't want to lose my adventurer. Is that what retiring is for?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 12:15:59 pm »

How about this: copy your save, go to the elf resort, retire there, then embark on it with a dwarf fortress. From there you can check unit and stock list, dig down, etc.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 12:24:57 pm »

Retiring puts your adventurer in a town or retreat so you can use it later. It has to be friendly though, so you'll have to abondon your elves. Go to the nearest human town, and hope. You get some nice bronze armor afterward, though, as you just become a superpowered human called an 'elf'.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 11:59:23 am »

Could it be that you were sneaking that pulls down you speed by a lot (and is broken by killing stuff)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 12:16:27 pm »

His speed was normal. The problem is that the amount of demons in his area was massive. See http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=56244. It's likely that the demons started spawning due to the HFS being "revealed". They're likely more demons in that square than wolves in the world, because he's been fighting elves for forever. Granted, elves are quicker at fighting, but the demons still spawn quite quickly.

frostilicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 10:42:26 am »

And that's why I didn't want to make a bug report for it.
It'd've been a waste of everyone's time....