Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: evaporation vs boiling- how do they work?  (Read 1284 times)

necrodoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
evaporation vs boiling- how do they work?
« on: August 10, 2010, 06:27:17 am »

so im trying to make some hazards evolving boiling metal, but ive encountered some problems.
sometimes the metal decides to evaporate instead of boilng, which mostly happens when they are near magma (ruining my plans of bomb catapults). it could be that it is caused by a bug with magma trying to burn them, because when i caused some ettins to prema burn (seems that only their fat is hurt by this) any blood that they walked nearby evaporated. it could be that fire and magma has a very high spec heat, because even after a month in arena the walls touching the big magma pool only heated up by 10 degrees.

also, where can i find the body temp of creatures? so far only 10 outa 500 of boiling metal bolts actually exploded after they got stuck in the target, and i want to see more goblin mcpincushion explosions ):

offtopic: how do i use bows and crossbows in adv mode?

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
Re: evaporation vs boiling- how do they work?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 07:36:38 am »

Evaporation is part of boiling, I think.

Body temps are in the creature raws.

necrodoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:49:26 pm »

help..?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:48:23 pm »

from a real world standpoint (and hopefully how it is in game) they are 2 separate processes that yield the same result.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporation

perhaps real world understanding of the differences can help you some? (because the game follows real world pretty well for the most part)

I think the evaporating is essentially the liquid disappearing from ambient (room temp) heat...boiling is the result of direct heat transfer.

to use bows and crossbows in adventure have a bow equipped and have a quiver with arrows also equipped...then press (F)ire....essentially works EXACTLY like throw...just uses a different skill and all
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 11:51:12 pm by dennislp3 »

necrodoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 06:05:19 am »

from a real world standpoint (and hopefully how it is in game) they are 2 separate processes that yield the same result.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporation

perhaps real world understanding of the differences can help you some? (because the game follows real world pretty well for the most part)

I think the evaporating is essentially the liquid disappearing from ambient (room temp) heat...boiling is the result of direct heat transfer.

to use bows and crossbows in adventure have a bow equipped and have a quiver with arrows also equipped...then press (F)ire....essentially works EXACTLY like throw...just uses a different skill and all

thanks about bows and crossbows, but i think on the topic of evaporation and boling real life =/= dwarf fortress. every time i try to run tests on my boiling metal they disappear instead of even melting. im sure you are not seeing metals slowly disappear everyday.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 06:09:27 am »

No but the point is that melting=/=boiling=/=evaporating

like I said I know they are not the same (real life and DF) but I was hoping it could give you some insight...perhaps when I wake up I can be of more help...im so tired I hardly know what this post is about lol

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 06:13:18 am »

Evaporisation is in the game in the form on 1/7 water and magma disappearing. The thing you are having right now is probably just the metal melting and dissolving into the magma, so you might want to set [MELTING_POINT:NONE] or something lower then your boiling point.

Items also disappear if they are burned away but I doubt you set your metals to do that.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!