Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elves easier to piss off?  (Read 3064 times)

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails apply magma
    • View Profile
Elves easier to piss off?
« on: August 04, 2010, 08:52:05 pm »

Now i've taken a break from DF (a sin i know) to let some of the glitches settle down, and for the first time i cut down enough tree to have the elves demand that i cut no more then 100 trees (which i agreed to because I have no weapons) this happened my second year and if you ask me i wasn't cutting down enough trees, so simple put are the elves easier to piss off, I like how fast they started to hate me (more fun that way), and i would like to know if this is common.
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: Elves easier to piss off?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 09:23:29 pm »

If you keep them irritated they bring you cool stuff, like tigermen in cages.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 09:25:53 pm »

Its like in that one Axe Cop comic where the mermaids have angry faces, so Axe Cop kills one, only to find out that Mermaids believed that Angry faces = Your happy. Elfs really love it when you cut down trees, and thats why they give you cool stuff.
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 10:39:28 pm »

Of course they love it when you harm nature.

If no one harmed nature, then they'd have to find something else to feel self-righteous about.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 01:21:28 am »

On the one hand, they are the most pretentious, stuck-up cannibalistic twiggy sons of nature and the forest I have ever met in my life.

On the other hand, caged giant eagles.

Decisions.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 01:26:34 am »

Still Elven, still psychotic.
I just started playing DF again as well (paused after 0.31 to let bugs go away... And for the requirement that water be dumped out of buckets ONLY from 1 floor up to go away but that's neither here nor there)
and started my first fort with my standard deforestation. So the elves arrive and I scam all the booze and cheese off them. Their diplomat of course politely asks of us to chop no more than 100 trees in the next year and I agree. After all, there's nothing more to chop,currently. Then he asks the same thing again. I don't remember the exact words but the gist of it was "If you industrialist wastes of sentience bastards chop a single log more than 100 until I come back, you'll be reduced to pulp under the foot of the great elvish army.". Someone's a rapid cycling bi-polar...
Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 01:31:34 am »

Elves are hypocrites,they ask you never to use wood and then threaten you with the might of wooden weapons.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 01:36:03 am »

Elves are hypocrites,they ask you never to use wood and then threaten you with the might of wooden weapons.

Their wood is au natural.  A gift from the forest.  Meaning they took nothing that the tree itself did not shed onto the forest floor.

Whereas the dwarves greedily take their axes to the forest and rend every last tree asunder so that Urist McBrewer has a new barrel for his latest fruit cocktail.

No wonder they hate us.

We don't share our drink recipes.

Oh, and the massive deforestation.  Man they should get over that.  They're only trees.  It's not like they won't grow back!  Eventually!
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 07:32:00 am »

the elves have yet to complain about me deforesting an entire region. i guess my stockpiles haven't been filled during their visits ... anyway. i wonder what happens if you agree "okay. no more tree cutting" only to go down underground and cut some mushrooms?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 01:08:02 pm »

I think they complain about mushrooms too. I may be wrong.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 01:20:17 pm »

Now i've taken a break from DF (a sin i know) to let some of the glitches settle down, and for the first time i cut down enough tree to have the elves demand that i cut no more then 100 trees (which i agreed to because I have no weapons) this happened my second year and if you ask me i wasn't cutting down enough trees, so simple put are the elves easier to piss off, I like how fast they started to hate me (more fun that way), and i would like to know if this is common.

I think the difference now is that the diplomat is working, whereas he wasn't before. I never ever got any threats before 31.11 (or was it 31.12?).

I've cut down forest after forest year after year, refusing the elven requests to limit my dwarfiness, and they haven't attacked me yet. They may be easier to irritate, but they're not easier to anger.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

theqmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 01:38:35 pm »

On my latest fort, about 10 months after refusing to stop my burgeoning charcoal industry to the local elven chapter, a Forest Titan arrives, and proceeds to rip the shirt off of one of my woodcutters and beat 3 dwarves to death with it before it became lodged firmly in someones wound.  At this point, about 2 months had passed, and the elven caravan arrived, and the Forest Titan beat them to death before being chopped to pieces by my axedwarves.  I took that as a sign.  Not sure what kind of sign, but a sign nonetheless.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 01:39:27 pm »

IIRC, you must first agree to the limit and then violate the limit anyway to piss them off enough to get them to attack you.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 04:43:25 pm »

It seems to me that they'll ask you to cap your tree-fells at 100 until you next meet regardless of how many trees you've actually cut down. However, I don't have the stones to test this by not cutting trees until you get elves, so I'm not entirely sure. But yeah, it's really hard to get them to attack you; humans, on the other hand, will siege at the drop of a hat.

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails apply magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 08:02:51 pm »

Ok so i was right, also on a side note do elves invade with any flying animals, because i need to take that into consideration before i go to war. I learned to fear sieges after a single goblin riding a bat flew into my fort killed my archers and died because he fell of the tower and was knocked out.
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.