Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War on embark?  (Read 734 times)

Arathanar

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: mind-boggling awesomeness]
    • View Profile
War on embark?
« on: August 06, 2010, 08:54:48 pm »

Recently, I managed to (completely accidentally, the only parameters I changed were temperature and volcanism) gen a world where all dwarven, elven, and goblin civilizations had united under dwarven rule against a united human civilization. Yes, it was awesome.

The strange thing was that the humans weren't marked with red dashes or a yellow "No Trade" on the embark screen. They were marked with a bright red "War". I wasn't able to embark on the world because I forgot to change some raws, so I didn't actually see what this entailed. The wiki only lists war as a worldgen event, so I don't actually know the consequence of it happening at embark.
Urist, you can't go there! The ground is PURPLE!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: War on embark?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 09:07:23 pm »

This means that you start the game at war with humans.  Obviously, dwarves were already at war with the elves and goblins, and won, and now they are going against the humans. 

Wars are often fairly short affairs that wind down when one or both sides runs low on cannon fodder soldiers to send to the front, but you just happened to end worldgen in the middle of an active one.  Congrats.

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
Re: War on embark?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 09:11:15 pm »

Urist McRuler: Aye, the war be goin' well.  Let us set up another fortress over here.
Urist McAdvisor: But sire, that's near our enemies!  Don't you think the humans will notice?  And possibly attack the seven brave souls you decide to send?
Urist McRuler: Mm.  Mayhap you be right.  Send a few battleaxes with them.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.