Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unusual miasma problem!  (Read 916 times)

random guardian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unusual miasma problem!
« on: August 03, 2010, 12:25:29 pm »

Today I decided to embark after accidentally channeling a river into my old fort. When I got to my destination the game told me it had discovered a cave. I thought to my self "good for you" until I saw the cave. It was practical covered in food stuff! I used Reveal and found out giants were living in it. Not one to miss a big chance for 6 years worth of food I got Runesmith and killed the giants (Because I knew a novice axedwarf would never stand a chance :P) and promptly claimed every thing.

As I was digging an extensive ware house i got a message. [Woodcutter Dwarf Cancels Store Item: Job Item Misplaced(Something to that effect)] I then looked at the cave and there was a giant plume of miasma flowing out! all hauling was promptly stopped and I killed DF with task manager.

Is there any way to stop the mass rotting or do I have to live with it? It even started rotting in the cave when I assumed it wouldn't! I also assumed it was a glitch or something because all that food wouldn't just appear and then rot all at the same time, would it? I estimate there is at least 140 food stuff and 30 finished goods so I really want a solution badly!

Sorry for the wall of text, and thank you! ;)
You see a youtube comment you dont agree with. As you type out an insult against the users mother a member of your family watches you. Fed up with your addiction to youtube and spouting random swears at people who didnt enjoy your Naruto AMV, the family member grabs your head and rams it into the screen of your computer butchering your face and electricuting you to death.

It's a sad thing that your adventures have ended here!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual miasma problem!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 12:34:12 pm »

So... you used two different hacking utilities and now aren't happy because miasma appeared from rotting corpses?  :o

random guardian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 12:36:02 pm »

i knew some one would say that >:( well i dont hack alot...
You see a youtube comment you dont agree with. As you type out an insult against the users mother a member of your family watches you. Fed up with your addiction to youtube and spouting random swears at people who didnt enjoy your Naruto AMV, the family member grabs your head and rams it into the screen of your computer butchering your face and electricuting you to death.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 12:36:28 pm »

make a food stockpile underneath the scattered foodstuff. It will stop it from rotting, then just get rid of it little by little.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

random guardian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 12:37:57 pm »

make a food stockpile underneath the scattered foodstuff. It will stop it from rotting, then just get rid of it little by little.
I will try that! thank you very much!

edit: whadayaknow it worked! thanks 8)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 12:49:50 pm by random guardian »

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 01:13:42 pm »

A novice axedwarf can kill forgotten beasts, why not a couple rats?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 01:31:04 pm »

A novice axedwarf can kill forgotten beasts, why not a couple rats?

Shorast McMayor: Urist! we need your axe!
Urist McAxedwarf: Aye lass. What is it?
Shorast McMayor: There be rats in the foodstores. Go an chop 'em
Urist McAxedwarf: ye best be kiddin' me. thar's CAT work, not dwarf work!
Shorast McMayor: Yerr hardly be a soldier, Urist! yerr a novice axedwarf n' ye shall hunt rats if i tells ye!
Shorast McMayor has been struck down!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

SenorPez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 01:36:16 pm »

i knew some one would say that >:( well i dont hack alot...

And I never lie.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 05:39:33 pm »

It is natural for food NOT in a stockpile to rot. So, as posted, the solution is to zone where the food to be collected is as a food stockpile.

The rotting and miasma has nothing to do with his hack utilities. That happens in a regular game.

You can get rotting food in a trade depot if the trade depot is underground. You don't get the miasma from the rot until the dwarves start taking the rotting food items out, and then drop them to go get a bit of booze or sleep or eat.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!