Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, how do you get adamantine?  (Read 3016 times)

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So, how do you get adamantine?
« on: August 05, 2010, 07:32:54 pm »

(Warning, HFS spoilers inside)

Okay, simple question: how do you mine out adamantine ore without breaking into the tube of hellish thingies? I know there are pillars in the magma sea, but I can't actually mine those out, because, well... magma in the way. Do the pillars extend above that? Can I just mine on higher levels? Or do I need to get more "creative"?

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: So, how do you get adamantine?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 07:46:14 pm »

They should extend upward. If not, construct stairs. If it's submerged, add water to make obsidian and a tunnel.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

Bhaalspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 08:27:20 pm »

VERY carefully...

oh wait, this is DF. go for it!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 08:46:17 pm »

I usually spot the adamantine when I hit the magma sea.  Then I mine a path above the magma sea to directly above where I saw the adamantine.  If I hit it up there, kickass, mine it all and check the floor above for adamantine, if not dig down until I hit some.  Then I mine all the adamantine I can down to 2 levels below the topmost point of the adamantine.  Any deeper than that and I get paranoid.

If the fort ends up lasting a long time sometimes I'll get bored and use stonesense with hidden tiles off to spot the shaft and mine the rest of what I can.  But I don't do that right away.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 09:42:03 pm »

Here's a side view of a typical vein
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
Fun

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 09:52:31 pm »

Ive seen veins have the shaft as shallow as 3 levels in once.  Thats actually why my no deeper than 2 levels thing is in effect in my own fortresses.

It ended badly when I found out.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 10:05:42 pm »

You can carve fortifications into the adamantine walls to discover if it will be safe to mine it.  After you convert it to a fortification, it will reveal either more adamantine behind it, or the hollow tube.  It may still kill your framerate when the demons spawn, but maybe not - I've done it twice without losing too much FPS.  It may protect you from the demons or it may not (I thought I read that some can fly through fortifications - can anyone confirm this?)  I set my number of demons in the world gen to 1 or 2 types, in the hopes that I won't get any of the variety that can go through fortifications; I don't know if that does any good.  Anyway the demons may just hang around the fortification for a while and then leave - that's what happened when I carved fortifications in the adamantine spire in the bugged save.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 10:19:28 pm »

Only vermin sized things can go through fortifications, though their attacks might fly on through

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 10:48:10 pm »

I have only ever found that nasty brand of HFS once, and it was fairly high up on the vein for memory. usually i can go down ten or more levels of adamantine without trouble. on this ocassion i got lucky, i floored off the tunnel straight away. In hindsight i almost wish i had just gone ahead with demon destruction.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 10:56:41 pm »

I'm actually as worried about the FPS drop as the demons.  Stonesense reveals is the only way I "cheated" in probably a year.  And I could count the times I savescummed on one hand over 3 years.  If I got the fps drop I would just dig into it and take my medicine anyway.  Maybe try to setup some easy way to get an adventurer down there before the fortress crumbles completely.

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 12:00:11 am »

Fortifications only allow non-vermin through when pressure is involved, so don't flood Hell with magma and you'll be safe.
Fun

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 12:47:02 am »

When I hit the HFS, I immediately pause, turn off mining, turn on masonry, and seal off the stairway with a floor. It's always served me well.