Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farming Issue  (Read 1014 times)

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Farming Issue
« on: August 03, 2010, 05:47:39 pm »

When I make my forts, I usually have two or three of them set aside for different things, usually one for plump helmets, and one for everything else. Recently, I've been having an issue with this plan, though. My dwarves won't stop planting the damn plump helmets, and it's getting really annoying with this fort's population entering the 50's area

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farming Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 06:05:08 pm »

You could go into the stocks screen, then seeds, and forbid the plump helmet spawn so that they plant the other seeds.  More farmers would also fix this.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 06:11:20 pm »

You could also use burrows to make it so that you have a population of plump helmet farmers and a population of everything else farmers. That's probably the least labor-intensive way to make sure both are planted.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 06:40:25 pm »

This can be handled with stockpile management.  Create one stockpile that holds only plump helmets, nothing but plump helmets, and has maximum barrels set to zero.  Disallow plump helmets in all your other food stockpiles.  The plump helmet stockpile will fill up, and then remaining plump helmets will never be removed from the farms.  As your dwarves use the plump helmets, room will be created for plump helmets to be removed from the farms, and then new ones will be planted and grown.  This should cause plump helmet growth to be limited by the rate of plump helmet production.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 06:59:23 pm »

There is an option to put the farm plots in rest mode for the season you want so they won't plant any seed for that season, i personally use that to not be overloaded with plant/food and further seeds, its the easiest way to manage that for me.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 07:06:40 pm »

This can be handled with stockpile management.  Create one stockpile that holds only plump helmets, nothing but plump helmets, and has maximum barrels set to zero.  Disallow plump helmets in all your other food stockpiles.  The plump helmet stockpile will fill up, and then remaining plump helmets will never be removed from the farms.  As your dwarves use the plump helmets, room will be created for plump helmets to be removed from the farms, and then new ones will be planted and grown.  This should cause plump helmet growth to be limited by the rate of plump helmet production.

This is the safe, though potentially seed-wasting/refuse-creating (if they rot on the plots) way of doing it.  The benefit is that if you increase consumption then you won't have to do anything to get more plump helmets.

Another option is to [z]fallow the farms, which stop the planting for that season.  But you have to select plump helmets again to get them planted again.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 10:26:30 pm »

Plump helmets left in the field too long do rot--- withered to be precise.

You don't have enough farmers and/or too much farms. You can downsize your farm plots to be worked by just setting them to fallow during one or more seasons. Once you start losing more plump helmets than you are growing/harvesting, you can individually change their fallow seasons back to plump helmets.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Hoooooooar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 10:52:23 pm »

i put seed stockpile of whatever kind of farm it is right next to it, it helps for newbie planters. no travel time

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 01:15:28 am »

maybe shrink the plump helm plot?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 01:22:14 am »

I don't see what's wrong with plump helmets .... they're so plump and delicious.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

magicwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 11:26:49 am »

I don't see what's wrong with plump helmets .... they're so plump and delicious.

Variety is the spice of life? Dwarf Fortress?
If I wanted to do things the "easy way", then I wouldn't be playing Dwarf Fortress.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 02:43:08 pm »

]Variety is the spice of life? Dwarf Fortress?

Variety leads to more kinds of booze! More kinds of booze, happier dwarves.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!