Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shield vs Buckler vs 2nd Weapon?  (Read 12701 times)

adgriff2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shield vs Buckler vs 2nd Weapon?
« on: August 03, 2010, 06:27:07 pm »

It seems from the wiki that shields are better than bucklers in every way. Should I equip my dwarves with shields or a 2nd Weapon?  Can you even equip 2 of any weapon? Is there any point to bucklers?

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
Re: Shield vs Buckler vs 2nd Weapon?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 06:31:32 pm »

I like bucklers, actually. I at least have them on til the armour stat is trained up.

adgriff2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 06:32:20 pm »

any reason?

Roder Agak

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Stop: hammer time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 07:12:12 pm »

Having a shield is definitely better than not having a shield.  It's a dwarf's only real defence against certain attacks (Dragonfire and Giant Desert Scorpion pincers come to mind).  It seems that the jury is still out regarding bucklers versus shields.  Bucklers are lighter than shields but have half the base chance to block.  Does their lesser encumbrance make up for this?  Nobody knows.

[Edit: An important factor is that against giant creatures dwarves will spend a lot of time on the ground, often stunned.  Against Giant Cave Spiders dwarves will spend a lot of time caught in web.  Presumably speed is relatively unimportant to dwarves in these predicaments, and therefore shields may be more effective than bucklers here.]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 02:28:08 am by Roder Agak »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 07:18:36 pm »

Once you get adamantine, the weight difference is meaningless. Though I'm not sure what effects material has on shields, so wooden or otherwise light material might be just as good.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 08:43:34 pm »

Having a shield is definitely better than not having a shield.  It's a dwarf's only real defence against certain attacks (Dragonfire and Giant Desert Scorpion pincers come to mind).  It seems that the jury is still out regarding bucklers versus shields.  Bucklers are lighter than shields but have half the base chance to block.  Does their lesser encumbrance make up for this?  Nobody knows.

Better slow than sorry.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 09:19:52 pm »

In adventure mode, Shield all the way.
Fortress mode? I would assume that this holds true, but really any shield is better than no shield.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 09:45:25 pm »

i did some experiments with this a while back and gave a squad all shields and one all bucklers and when the time came arrows and bolts dealt more blows to the buckler dorfs while the ones wearing shields barely sustained any damage at all.  I dont mess around with bucklers anymore.