Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making myself a clean cistern, how to?  (Read 1370 times)

gramks2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making myself a clean cistern, how to?
« on: August 01, 2010, 05:48:58 pm »

I have an underground aqueduct, and now I would like to make a cistern to hold some water for my Dorfs... for whatever.

My plan, continue the aqueduct past the farms and install a few floodgates. The first will release water into a large chamber, with a continuation of the aqueduct off to one side, the other will release water into a secondary smaller chamber.

The real question is; how do I get the water in the aqueduct to be clean? It's all muddy. This is basically my first successful fortress (just got to the top of that really steep learning cliff) and the aqueduct was not smoothed, though I did put a wall grate somewhere up there near the entrance.

Do I just need to make the cistern all smoothed stone (floor and walls) and put a grate at the beginning of the smoothed part? Will that make the water that enters the cistern clean?

Should I even be worrying about having clean water? Please cite the use if so.

Also anything else that I should know about for cistern design would be helpful.

Thanks!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Making myself a clean cistern, how to?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 06:03:53 pm »

Water deposits mud on tiles, no matter what.  I have not been able to find any way to prevent this.  It doesn't seem to cause any harm, other than making it possible for plants to grow on the now-muddied tiles.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 06:07:17 pm »

Don't worry about the ground underneath the water being muddy, no way to avoid it and it doesn't matter. The only "clean water" and "dirty water" difference I know of is dwarfs don't like drinking from the stagnant murky pools on the surface. If you drain that water underground and provide a well they stop complaining.

gramks2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 06:14:52 pm »

All good, project underway! Thanks for the info.

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 06:26:36 pm »

Muddy ground is not an issue, however I would suggest constructing a road on the bottom of your pipes, because trees can grow on muddy tiles after you breach the caverns and block your water supply. Unplugging it then becomes an issue if the pipes re not empty.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 05:15:39 am »

Or you can make the pipes 2/3 tiles wide (it greatly decreases the change for something going wrong.) Alternatifly make shure you can close parts of the pipe with floodgates and use pumps to clear them. (then you can cut down the trees.)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 05:34:13 am »

2 tile wide pipes should be fine. I don't believe I've ever seen two trees grow directly next to each other.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 06:46:53 am »

Or 2 tile deep pipes. Easy to mine out, just designate as ramp. I don't think trees can grow on ramps. And if you don't like your pipes full of ramps, you can remove them, and even if a tree grows there, it doesn't matter because the water can flow over the top of it.

Nat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 07:19:03 am »

Will I even get mud on top of glass floors? I'm building a giant beer bottle for a well.

Actually, on second thought, it won't be a bad thing. I guess I can just say the mud is uh, yeast and sediment and stuff, and the trees... well, they just add flavour!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 07:35:14 am »

Won't get trees on constructed floors/walls, but yeah you'll still get mud.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 08:52:27 am »

A giant beer bottle well... damn why didn't I think of that before?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 05:42:37 pm »

Even constructed glass floors get mud if water is put on it. And trees will grow on constructed muddy tiles, so--- the only way to stop that is to build roads.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!