Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I require bees  (Read 1713 times)

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: I require bees
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 08:08:34 am »

Very cool idea!  But... would the bee die after stinging, as in nature, or would it have a more wasp-like "can sting as often as I want"?

The latter.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 12:53:41 pm »

But... would the bee die after stinging, as in nature, or would it have a more wasp-like "can sting as often as I want"?

It'll stay alive. There isn't anything I can do to simulate real-life bee-stinging right now.

Also with only 1 queen in 3251 bees chances of aquiring the queen will be... marginal at best. The fact that exotic creature taming is bugged also doesnt help. Might want to leave out the pet_exotic tag.

The chances are better than antmen, but admittedly they're still extremely small. I think I'll change that.

Fake edit: Yeah, you body tag is below the tissue layer tags. It doesnt like that.

Okay, perfect.

Done at last. Well, at least I learnt a few new things while doing this. I'll upload two versions: One for the original purpose (wherein workers and drones can interbreed) and one for everywhere else (wherein only queens are considered female).

Edit: Done.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 01:05:11 pm by 3 »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 09:41:15 pm »

Huh.  I've actually been working on a bee mod, but it has multiple varieties of bees.  Among them a civ playable in both modes.  Doesn't have anything quite like that, though; only things that are on par with goblins are fully armored soldier bees.  Not done yet though; I don't have near enough new adversaries, and the plants need tweaking.

Don't suppose I could use a slightly modified version of this, do you 3?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 10:37:07 pm »

Awesome mod, 3. I'm loving these worker bees, who make for great pets. However, I've been trying to make them even more dwarfy by making them able to be trained for war. Unfortunately, raw editing is not my strong suit. Especially with VBase. Could someone help me?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 10:44:47 pm »

Oh yeah, that's a great idea. Can't believe I forgot about that one. It's really as simple as adding the [TRAINABLE] tag, either to whatever caste you like, or (if you want all castes to be trainable), either near the start of the file or after [SELECT_CASTE:ALL]. I think I'll update the files with that.

Quote from: LegoLord
Don't suppose I could use a slightly modified version of this, do you 3?

Of course, go ahead.

Edit: Done.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 10:47:48 pm by 3 »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 10:49:09 pm »

Awesome.  Say, on the subject, does anyone know if the [LITTERSIZE] tag is still broken during world-gen?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 10:51:44 pm »

Very cool idea!  But... would the bee die after stinging, as in nature, or would it have a more wasp-like "can sting as often as I want"?

The latter.

Would it be possible to make the Bee release a syndrome-type-effect (upon stinging) that is mildly toxic to the stingee, but fatal to the sting-er? I have no idea.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 10:59:57 pm »

I suppose it might be possible to create a poison class specific to the bees, and then somehow... I don't know, keep a related syndrome permanently in gas form and release it opon using the sting attack? I'm still only really getting used to the way syndromes and attacks work in relation (we have an injection tag, but I don't know if we have similar means of getting something out without injection during a non-breath attack - the furthest the vanilla raws go is bodyparts leaking on taking damage).

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 12:30:35 am »

I have made a contact poison attack that give a message about the poison splashing onto the target. Perhaps making this evaporate and kill the bee would work?

Heres what I used
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Replacing LIQUID with GAS should work.

As for the syndromes... If its impossible to give it two syndromes you may have to add two materials, or make a syndrome that would only affect bees. Something like
[CE_NECROSIS:SEV:1000:PROB:100:BP:BY_CATEGORY:BEE_BRAIN:BRAIN:START:5:PEAK:10]
after giving bees a brain with [CATEGORY:BEE_BRAIN]
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 12:39:08 am »

Damn, I forgot to give them the GENERAL_POISON class tag. I'll fix that once I'm done experimenting with this...

Not an edit: Hold on, I'm being stupid.

Edit: The gas appears, but I have serious trouble getting the syndrome to actually get going (I've only seen it work when I set multiple bees upon one another), and it doesn't seem to actually do anything regardless.

(For the moment, this is basically just copied from the entry you posted)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:13:04 am by 3 »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 02:23:47 am »

Yes inhaled poisons are a bit iffy right now. It tends to take a few tries for them to do anything.

Lets see... first you might want to make that poison inject tag have 100:100, I made that earlier one to be less effective because the contact poison was a bit too potent.

Im also not sure if the inhale effect works at all if you also have a contact effect. I put it there because I though it would be funny in the rare event some of the stuff boils away and kills some creatures, but forgot to test it.

You should probabaly also remove melting point and add [BOILING_POINT:0]. Otherwise the stuff is going to be tracked around your fortress and bees will drop dead randomly.

Have you tried using two inject attack tags for two seperate poisons? That could solve a lot of problems.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 02:28:03 am »

Quote from: Grimlocke
Lets see... first you might want to make that poison inject tag have 100:100, I made that earlier one to be less effective because the contact poison was a bit too potent.

Already done.

Im also not sure if the inhale effect works at all if you also have a contact effect. I put it there because I though it would be funny in the rare event some of the stuff boils away and kills some creatures, but forgot to test it.

May as well try removing one.

You should probabaly also remove melting point and add [BOILING_POINT:0]. Otherwise the stuff is going to be tracked around your fortress and bees will drop dead randomly.

Yeah, fair enough. The material's only really set up the way it is now for Arena testing.

Have you tried using two inject attack tags for two seperate poisons? That could solve a lot of problems.

That's what this is. The "sting" attack has a 100 percent chance of injecting both the suicide material and the normal poison, as seperate entries (under one attack entry).

Edit: Still no dice. I might play around with the values a little, but nothing seems to be having any effect at all.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 02:36:27 am by 3 »
Pages: 1 [2]