Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortifications wont carve  (Read 789 times)

cadleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortifications wont carve
« on: July 31, 2010, 07:40:56 pm »

I have a fort outside with limestone walls I built. I designate parts of it for carving fortifications, but the squares flash red and arent getting built. They are 5 squares in a row along the wall. What am I doing wrong? thanks.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Fortifications wont carve
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 07:42:42 pm »

If they're flashing red, it means they've been designated for carving into fortifications.  Now you need a dwarf with the Stone Detailing skill enabled to come along and carve fortifications.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 08:22:56 pm »

if u built the walls out of rocks u mined u cant carve them u have to build the fortifications like walls

now if the walls are rock u can mine it should work

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 08:24:18 pm »

You can fortify built walls.

You just can't engrave them. For whatever reason.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 08:24:41 pm »

Actually, constructed walls can be carved into fortifications just as if they were naturally mined smoothed walls.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 08:32:59 pm »

really i never new this...

cadleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 08:54:21 pm »

If they're flashing red, it means they've been designated for carving into fortifications.  Now you need a dwarf with the Stone Detailing skill enabled to come along and carve fortifications.

It appears im not whipping my stone detailers enough. Thx.