Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New screen  (Read 496 times)

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
New screen
« on: August 02, 2010, 12:12:38 pm »

The idea is fairly simple but probably a bit harder to implent.
Currently everytime you want to acces on of your many dwarf related programs you need to f11 out wait for the game to set again (takes some time) locate the program ext.
My solution is simple make an ingame menu that allows for the selection of these programs. It then displays everything that plugin displays to the game (would require an upgrade from all of these programs but I'm shure they will do it). If passble (I know it might be difficult) an init option could be added to have this screen as an additional part of the vieuw of the world. This would grant these programs more power.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: New screen
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 12:29:52 pm »

... If you're going to be frequently switching between windows, isn't it simpler to just not use fullscreen?

Especially since there's no real downside to just setting the window width to your screen's width, unless you really hate your taskbar or something.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 12:43:36 pm »

I just make sure my windowed mode is using the same resolution and tileset as my fullscreen mode. Then you can expand the window to full size in windowed mode. I use 2 monitors, but it would work the same for one.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

pubby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 12:45:32 pm »

alt-tab

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 01:01:51 pm »

I still think it would be easier if there was an ingame screen for the plugins.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 01:37:48 pm »

The problem with that is that these aren't plug-ins, they're memory hacks.  They aren't part of the game at all, and Toady does nothing to support them, nor does he want to do so.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare