Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glass and obsidian weapons  (Read 642 times)

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Glass and obsidian weapons
« on: July 31, 2010, 03:13:03 pm »

Two quick questions:

1) Where are the material properties of glass defined? I couldn't find anything beyond the stone template, all I know is that glass trap components don't appear to be very impressive.

2) Has anyone tested obsidian as a weapon material in 2010? AFAIK this would require some modding as crafting obsidian blades currently doesn't work as expected. I'm curious if the sharpness would offset the low structural strength against unarmoured targets.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glass and obsidian weapons
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 03:21:13 pm »

The properties of Glass doesn't exist in the raws and is hardcoded. Probably about time Toady put those into .raw form because of all the material changes. For glass weapons in traps, theres already a bug report for it: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2813

As for obsidian, no idea.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glass and obsidian weapons
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 09:51:40 am »

I had a few arena fights, pitting teams of swordsdwarves with iron and faux-obsidian (couldn't make them available so I modded another metal to have the same relevant properties) against one another, with a variety of armour. The ones with faux-obsidian lost every fight, but they always scored the first kills. Apparently obsidian is good for causing heavy bleeding, but not for causing crippling damage.