Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Taming whatever's in the caverns.  (Read 579 times)

elpyfo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Taming whatever's in the caverns.
« on: April 30, 2011, 08:20:12 am »

Hello there, fellow dwarves!

I'm in a bit of trouble. I've caught me some of the less-than-lovely cave inhabitants, and I can't seem to tame them. I've got meat, some kennels, and the PET_EXOTIC tag turned off using Lazy Newb Pack. When I select "tame large animal", I can't seem to select anything to tame. Help?

Edit: The "less-than-lovely cave inhabitants" refers to the goddamn GCS I've caught, along with some bugbats and whatnot.  :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 08:34:07 am by elpyfo »
Proud to be part of this horrible lot.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Taming whatever's in the caverns.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 08:38:24 am »

ARRR that be a good question there, laddy! I be wondering such thinkums' meself!

Well, mostly, anyways. I did the same thing you did, but with grizzlies, and badgers. I bought a few pre-tamed ones too (Being friends with elves has it's benefits!) and, yet, they won't become war bears?

Sorry that I'm of no help, but while the thread's here, might'a well post, aye?

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

elpyfo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 08:51:58 am »

Yeah, I've got some pre-tamed ones as well, but I'm confused about the actual taming. 3:

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 08:54:02 am »

I believe grizzlies can already be tamed, since they're not pet_exotic. To train them for war, they have to roam free (meaning not in a cage).

As for the OP, I really don't know. Have you tried with stockpiled caged GCS and built cage GCS? Or was the pet_exotic tag removed instead of replaced by a pet tag? Or... animal accessibility from the kennel?
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

elpyfo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 08:57:10 am »

I believe grizzlies can already be tamed, since they're not pet_exotic. To train them for war, they have to roam free (meaning not in a cage).

As for the OP, I really don't know. Have you tried with stockpiled caged GCS and built cage GCS? Or was the pet_exotic tag removed instead of replaced by a pet tag? Or... animal accessibility from the kennel?
I've tried it both stockpiled and caged. I removed the pet_exotic tag when the world was already genned, though. Does this make any difference?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:11:33 am »

I've tried it both stockpiled and caged. I removed the pet_exotic tag when the world was already genned, though. Does this make any difference?

Did you remove it from the DF default raws, or from the raws in the save folder for your saved fortress?  You need to remove it from the save folder raws for it to work.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

elpyfo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 09:15:02 am »

Did you remove it from the DF default raws, or from the raws in the save folder for your saved fortress?  You need to remove it from the save folder raws for it to work.

I removed it from the default raws. The problem has been fixed now, thanks! I tested it on Bugbats, and I'm taming them as I post this :)