Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Roads: what are they good for?  (Read 1912 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roads: what are they good for?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 10:58:53 am »

Yes, coke/charcoal/lignite/coal roads are flammable! :D

You will of course need some magma to ignite the trap, but you can arrange to have a flaming moat on demand.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 12:02:02 pm »

Caravans and migrants use roads, so if you've got a map with a lot of big rivers and a couple different islands they're quite useful.

Otherwise migrants show up on the wrong island and starve to death. Which is a pain in the ass.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 12:18:13 pm »

You can't build a road over empty space. You first need to construct either a bridge or construct floors to bridge the gap. Once you have constructed floors you can then build a road over the constructed floors.

If you instead build a bridge you cannot build anything on top of the bridge, but building a bridge is faster and uses less material than building constructed floors.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 12:28:50 pm »

I think bridges count as roads, as far as value goes. I remember in 40d the thing that said how much road value I needed for the king included bridge value in the amount, since I had little, if not none, roads built.

Yes, coke/charcoal/lignite/coal roads are flammable! :D

You will of course need some magma to ignite the trap, but you can arrange to have a flaming moat on demand.
Does graphite work? It's the only thing it's good for, except creating a few !!Urist McMiners!!.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 01:11:49 pm »

I'm not sure if graphite is flammable. I don't think so since its not used as fuel.

You can build roads out of charcoal bars, and you can make charcoal out of logs which are in infinite supply. Charcoal, coal, and lignite all burn with great vigor for a long period of time.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 08:28:38 am »

Coke roads are good for traps  ;)

0_0

WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS?!

I'm restructuring my current fort and dedicating it to the construction of an underground goblin anyone I hate INCINERATOR!
No grass needed and I feel like building near the magma sea anyway.

Armok bless you my friend.
Thanks.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 09:01:23 am »

As far as i remember, roads are a really good way to train architects, since you can designate them 1 square at a time.  Way easier than placing columns imo.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.
Pages: 1 [2]