Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So what problems are left with the current version?  (Read 1384 times)

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So what problems are left with the current version?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 11:05:06 am »

The bug with underground plots needing muddying is still in.
That's a feature, not a bug...
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 11:42:40 am »

Apart from those it's working pretty well.
As of 31.12, I would agree -- totally playable for someone who could find .40d playable.

The military screen is a new level of hopelessly complicated, and you actually need to understand it somewhat because the defaults aren't what you would want.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 11:44:04 am »

I'm leaving out things which appear to be missing or that work in some fashion which is unexpected since we don't know what Tarn Adams means to be happening.  These are just things that clearly appear to be intended to work, but don't.

1.  Military doesn't equip properly all the time.  Some will wear both gauntlets and some won't, and it shifts randomly if you disband the squad and start over.  Sometime they will wear caps and helms together, and sometimes not.  Same with mail shirts and breastplates.  Retrying the dressing sequence several times sometimes fixes the problem but not always.
2.  Dwarves don't respect bed assignments, including using up all the bed space in the hospital instead of sleeping in their own rooms.  This results in bad thoughts from sleeping without a proper room as well as making it impossible for wounded Dwarves to get treatment.  Burrows help somewhat with this, but not with the hospital.  Restricting the traffic zones is useless for this purpose.  Even a cost of 100/per square won't stop healthy Dwarves from sleeping in hospital beds.
3.  Gypsum powder won't store in the hospital and people want to wash in inaccessible water sources if you give them soap.
4.  Buckets of stagnant water accumulate in the fortress and the water cannot be dumped from them.  They come from people attempting to bring water to thirsty Dwarves who are actually healthy and often already drinking from a barrel when the water arrives.  This stagnant water gradually evaporates, and the buckets can be recovered once empty.  Lyemakers use buckets containing stagnant water for their operation and you end up with buckets containing stagnant water and lye.  These buckets are totally useless.  Milkers will use buckets containing stagnant water and thus recover them, but not ones containing lye and water.  The water is dumped at the milking station.  However, milkers also take the buckets from the hospital.
5.  Some of the stockpile settings are borked.  Certain things can't be designated but are still stored in the overall catagory, and certain things have designations but they don't work.  Raw hides are one example of the latter.  Blood is one of the former.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 12:40:56 pm »

Toady himself said that its a bug. Yes, you still need to muddy rock floors for farming, its always been that way. Its just that we need at least a z-level worth of soil underneath the farm in order to actually use it on dry soil. Which really isn't a problem in itself since you'll have at least two or three levels of soil these days, even if the embark screen only shows one (worldgen settings may change this), the problem is that you need to muddy it in order to actually farm.

Theres also the quirk where you make a farm aboveground, yet it will say that you need mud, when you don't actually need it for aboveground.

Samu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2010, 03:06:34 pm »

I have had 31.12 crash on me when trying to define a zone (for hospital use) as a "flow zone", rather than as a rectangle, and pressing Esc to cancel the designation. This happens every time I do this, so although it's irritating, it is at least predictable and easily avoided. Otherwise, I've been very pleased with 31.12.
Are those new water tiles I see?! they look swell haha

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2010, 03:21:16 pm »

Toady himself said that its a bug. Yes, you still need to muddy rock floors for farming, its always been that way. Its just that we need at least a z-level worth of soil underneath the farm in order to actually use it on dry soil. Which really isn't a problem in itself since you'll have at least two or three levels of soil these days, even if the embark screen only shows one (worldgen settings may change this), the problem is that you need to muddy it in order to actually farm.

Theres also the quirk where you make a farm aboveground, yet it will say that you need mud, when you don't actually need it for aboveground.
On the contrary, underground unlit soil won't allow a farm at all.
Unlike 40d. There is also a display for this fact.
I'm not sure if toady will change it, with the new availibility of water in caverns.
I'm leaving out things which appear to be missing or that work in some fashion which is unexpected since we don't know what Tarn Adams means to be happening.  These are just things that clearly appear to be intended to work, but don't.

1.  Military doesn't equip properly all the time.  Some will wear both gauntlets and some won't, and it shifts randomly if you disband the squad and start over.  Sometime they will wear caps and helms together, and sometimes not.  Same with mail shirts and breastplates.  Retrying the dressing sequence several times sometimes fixes the problem but not always.
military dwarves will never equip items in bins.
but they WILL be assinged items in bins, so watch out!
There may also be some armsdwarf shenanigans that toady may or may not have taken out.
(military takes time to re-equip?)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 03:25:29 pm by eerr »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2010, 03:24:33 pm »

On the contrary, underground unlit soil won't allow a farm at all.
Unlike 40d. There is also a display for this fact.
I'm not sure if toady will change it, with the new availibility of water in caverns.

Huh? I farmed on dry, underground, unlit soil all the time in 40D.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2010, 03:26:03 pm »

]

Well you can't anymore, duh

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2010, 03:27:29 pm »

]

Well you can't anymore, duh

I'm trying to say that Toady intended for us to still be able to farm on dry underground soil in .31.xx

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2010, 03:32:03 pm »

I'm trying to say that Toady intended for us to still be able to farm on dry underground soil in .31.xx
ok.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2010, 03:56:08 pm »

military dwarves will never equip items in bins.
but they WILL be assinged items in bins, so watch out!
There may also be some armsdwarf shenanigans that toady may or may not have taken out.
(military takes time to re-equip?)

Not true. Dwarves can equip from bins. Has been so at least since .04 or so. Though it's still buggy, so not every item is equipped properly always.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."
Pages: 1 [2]