Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New designation: Undermine  (Read 867 times)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New designation: Undermine
« on: July 26, 2010, 03:46:53 pm »

As a complement to the mine and channel commands, the undermine command. It digs a tunnel, ánd removes the floor/ceiling of the tunnel as well.

Alternatively, it replaces the rock with a support that can then be triggered to collapse, and the floor above will certainly fall down, attached to other stuff or not. This gives your dwarves time to get out, and the floor can cave-in normally.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: New designation: Undermine
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 03:56:54 pm »

Alternatively, it replaces the rock with a support that can then be triggered to collapse, and the floor above will certainly fall down, attached to other stuff or not. This gives your dwarves time to get out, and the floor can cave-in normally.

This is very similar to what I proposed a week ago, with setting up walls to be destroyed by lever-pull...

As for removing the tile above, that seems alot like what happens when you dig ramps.

(Plus, since this is another place to put it, I might as well say again that we should have the ability to remove stairs from above, especially if we can build stairs downward from above...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New designation: Undermine
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 12:21:59 am »

Come to think of it, should there be "free" constructions to build that don't take up stone? Each square digs out to have one stone inside, but contains three elements (floor, wall, and stair/ramp), each of which take a stone to make. Put it another way, I can channel to get a free ramp, but have to dig and spend a stone to make a ramp on the same level. Some of these digging rules are pretty arbitrary :P