Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilian management during attacks.  (Read 301 times)

EaTCarbS

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Civilian management during attacks.
« on: July 31, 2010, 02:48:38 pm »

Hello everyone! I am wondering what others do to keep their civilians from wandering about while your fort is under attack. I keep having civilian dwarves run out of the fortress to do something only to meet goblin steel. I can't think of a way to keep them inside while I am under attack. Should I just keep the door closed indefinitely? or is there some awesome solution someone has, cause I cant figure it out. >.<

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilian management during attacks.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 02:53:38 pm »

Burrows.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilian management during attacks.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 03:47:30 pm »

to elaborate a bit:

designate a burro(w) somewhere inside the fort, either a safe room deep inside or just all of the inside if you want to let your dwarves keep up with their inside work.

then go to the (m)ilitary menu, to the (a)lerts section. Mark the burrow (far to the right) and hit enter (while having the civilians marked) - this will tell the civilians to stay in that burrow. They may still wander out of it to get food or drink IF there's none of those inside the burrow, but other than that they should stay in it.