Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Experimental Mod Variant: Hobgoblin Fortress v0.96 (Civ Forge)  (Read 1054 times)

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a first attempt at modding DF for me, and is basically an expansion of the hobgoblin entity file from Mephansteras's excellent Civilization Forge (CF) v2.22, into a full-fledged playable hobgoblin civ with all game technology available (steel, Meph's alchemical reactions, and so on, though those parts can be removed).

I put a bit of work into coming up with a fairly full-featured, but hopefully different-enough, noble/position structure.  I used a slightly modified version of Deon's dungeon master positions.

If I haven't screwed it up too badly, you can basically now play Hobgoblin Fortress, and I definitely recommend it be played under CF.  (At minimum, you'll need to use Meph's hobgoblin creature raw file, and, for more vanillaish play, edit out custom mod buildings and reactions, add normal steelmaking reaction back in.  But I've clearly annotated them, so that shouldn't be difficult, hopefully.)  But note that if you play with an otherwise vanilla layout, the hobgobs will probably overrun worldgen; they need some firmer resistance.

EDIT: Oops, yes, there are custom weapons, armors, toys and instruments in there, so, unfortunately, you'll have to rip those out as well for vanilla play.  Either that, or use those elements of CF.  (Thanks for catching that oversight, Mephansteras.)

Anyway, any feedback or technical gaffes pointed out are welcome.  Don't know if it's anything to shake a stick at, but, like I said, first attempt at anything substantive and usable by anyone but me.  If anyone does find any part of it useful, it's free for any use whatsoever, with proper credit given (particularly for work traceable to Mephansteras and Deon).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 07:44:30 pm by ChickenLips »
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Experimental Mod Variant: Hobgoblin Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 04:20:42 pm »

I am running off to bed so I can't check it now. If it generates no errors in errorlog.txt I guess it's cool.

Just tell me, are hobgoblins carnivore? If so, you need to revise the farming.

P.S. Just a tip on their expected behavior. They have TONS of starting biomes, a nice set of biome support and small maximum population for towns along a big world population. This should lead to huge empires with dozens of cities covering half the map. If the "horde" behavior is what you want, then it should be perfect.

Also I like the position names.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 04:26:29 pm »

Several Notes for people who want to remove CF stuff from this:

1) The Ironworks section includes a change to the reaction_smelter.txt file that removes Steel from it. You'll need to restore the vanilla file to have steel back.
2) The Hobgoblins use many of the CF armor and weapons, so if you want them to use Vanilla DF equipment only you'll need to edit it. Giving them dwarven armor and human weapons is probably fine.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 05:10:45 pm »

Just tell me, are hobgoblins carnivore? If so, you need to revise the farming.

I hadn't thought of them as obligatory carnivores, and my friend pointed out reference materials talking about them having farming done, so I suspect it should be okay.  No strong impressions one way or another, but I'm definitely not wanting to make this a TC.  If possible, I'd like it to be able to be plugged in alongside any other "community fishtank" sort of mod, so I wouldn't want to change farming itself.

P.S. Just a tip on their expected behavior. They have TONS of starting biomes, a nice set of biome support and small maximum population for towns along a big world population. This should lead to huge empires with dozens of cities covering half the map. If the "horde" behavior is what you want, then it should be perfect.

Oomf!  Nope, I don't want them to dominate worldgen so much.  I'll have to tone that down.

Also I like the position names.

Thanks!  Good to hear -- I wrangled with those position names way too much.

@Mephansteras:
Ah, thanks for catching that.  I forgot about those additions.
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Experimental Mod Variant: Hobgoblin Fortress v0.93
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 05:19:51 pm »

I should point out that Hobgoblins usually do decently in World Gen in Civilization Forge but don't dominate the world due to all of the competition. So I don't think you need to tweak those values for a CF game, though you might need to if someone was to use the mod in a vanilla game.

And, as always, you should test everything out a bit yourself. Just run a bunch of medium/large worlds and see how things go.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Experimental Mod Variant: Hobgoblin Fortress v0.94 (Civ Forge)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 04:38:43 am »

The domination depends on the creature file and other entities present. I just tried to predict it from raws.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Experimental Mod Variant: Hobgoblin Fortress v0.94 (Civ Forge)
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 05:17:43 pm »

I think I get the dynamic a bit better now.  I toned them down slightly, but not much -- I guess the warning on the label is: if you use this with an otherwise-stock layout, expect elf extinctions.  Recommended for use with one of the major mod layouts that strengthens civs and provides competition across the board.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
Re: Experimental Mod Variant: Hobgoblin Fortress v0.96 (Civ Forge)
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 12:02:58 am »

I read that as Hemoglobin Fortress. :|
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Experimental Mod Variant: Hobgoblin Fortress v0.96 (Civ Forge)
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 06:44:36 am »

That's a bloody awesome idea...

Hm...
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.