Author Topic: Music  (Read 1139 times)

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
Music
« on: July 27, 2010, 10:00:51 pm »

I see instruments, but don't hear them or see them being used.
Add musicians into the game. and do it as it is in real life:
If you aren't born with a gift for music, you'll suck at playing an instrument.

Good musicians can cheer up dwarfs, even make them ecstatic temporarily if they are playing that good of a song.

Optional feature that'd be cool:
Dwarfs can compose their own songs, then you, (toady) use some sort of MIDI library or something to allow the song to be heard in a certain radius around a dwarf who performs that song.
Of course, init option to disable the hearing the music part needed. Yes, it would be complex, but I think worth it.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Music
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:03:33 pm »

This, along with a lot of your other suggestions, are all planned.  It would be nice if you stopped posting threads for things there's already threads, and devplans for.  Especially all at once.

Edit:  Top of the forum has rules asking posters to search before posting threads, along with links to the devplans and such.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 10:26:29 pm »

Um...
Core21, SOUND, (Future): Make all music/sounds optional, in groups. More songs (possibly seasonal), incidental music (like spotting the first kobold in a cave, etc.), various combat type sounds and ambient sounds, pleasing interface clicks.

That's all I see in the dev plans when I search for music.

And this is all I see when I search for instruments:
Req30, MORE TRADE GOODS, Completed: Access to more items during trading, including weapons, armor, clothing, toys, instruments, lumber (for no-tree sites) and so on.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 10:28:47 pm »

Bloat94, INSTRUMENT USE, (Future): Instrument use at parties.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 10:34:17 pm »

Ok.

Is
Optional feature that'd be cool:
Dwarfs can compose their own songs, then you, (toady) use some sort of MIDI library or something to allow the song to be heard in a certain radius around a dwarf who performs that song.
Of course, init option to disable the hearing the music part needed. Yes, it would be complex, but I think worth it.
already planned?

Also,
This, along with a lot of your other suggestions, are all planned.
Then I will refine this suggestion to include only the non-planned stuff.
What other stuff are already planned? I seem to be missing stuff.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:37:13 pm »

Well, considering there's the musicality and artistic attributes currently unused, it only makes sense they'd eventually have uses.

Musicality

This attribute doesn't effect any skills as of version .31.11

* an astonishing knack for music
    * a great musical sense
    * a natural ability with music
    * a feel for music

* an iffy sense for music
    * little natural inclination toward music
    * next to no natural musical ability
    * absolutely no feel for music at all

Again, it'd be best to become more familiar with the game's present and future before making a bunch of threads.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:41:26 pm »

There were some suggestions a while back regard procedural generation of music (similar to what Spore did).  Thou I can't find the thread that has it, thou there were already quite a few threads involving music.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 10:45:13 pm »

Toady's hinted he's done some work on a procedural music stuff for a different game, and that such a thing might work in DF in some small way.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 10:50:14 am »

I can see a few skills with music first there are of course skills for all instruments and singer skills then there could be some a composer skill and a dance skill.

a composer makes a song which gets a certain quility (master work ext.). Then someoen chooses the song which he will play bigger change to take a song from a frend/family memer/himself/about subject(for example about shells if he has shell fetish) he likes and a bigger chance if the song is good. if a song isn't played for some time it's forgotten. This would eventually make the low quility songs stop beeing played and allows only the masterworks to be played at some time.

Dancers would increase the effect of songs. A dwarf can hear songs trough walls (easy to implent) and receives happy thoughts if he does so. The closer he is to an artist the happier this makes him. A good artist can be heard from father then a worthless one. a dabling artist can even generate complains about the noise. Performaces are given from stages which work just like other workshops, during parties and at random if a artist is ideling (a good reason to make shure you legendary doesn't do anything else then ideling).
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.