Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Designing Mercury Lighthouse  (Read 568 times)

Saturos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Designing Mercury Lighthouse
« on: July 30, 2010, 03:36:21 pm »

Firstly hi there!  First post and all.

I'm looking to build a set of forts based on the elemental lighthouses of golden sun, problem is designing the forts.  The lighthouses are intended to be tower structures of about 20 floors in total.  Nicely filled with traps and any form of mechanics hidden well.

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good program for planning out forts?  It's mostly so I can work a series of traps that would be fun in adventure mode into a working fort.

I'm also looking for ideas on clever devices if anyone would be willing to share them.  Currently I'm working on mercury lighthouse since it seems like a good way to learn all about water mechs.  So water based traps and clever flow tricks would be most welcome :)

Thanks in advance!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Designing Mercury Lighthouse
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 04:05:52 pm »

The first rule: do not build cage traps. Or at least, deconstruct them before abandoning. An init setting must be flipped on for adventurers to be vulnerable to traps and cage traps are overpowered with no way to escape at present. Beyond that, be aware that adventurers typically are good at swimming because they'll train in it before going on serious adventures. Also, be aware that water 'flow' is sometimes cheated by teleporting high pressure water to low pressure regions, as opposed to a true flow. This means that if submerged fully in 7/7 water, nothing can be moved by a gushing 'flow' of water as the back/top of the water is just teleporting to the front/bottom.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 04:12:12 pm »

And you even have an appropriate name. My opinions of GS aside, easiest way for you to go would be look up any maps (or make one yourself) of the dungeons/lighthouses. Then build them.

You'll need to implement the piping puzzles using walls and bridges and doors/floodgates, though, since rolling pipes are not something that can be implemented.

For fort planning, you can use MS paint to take care of most of it, zooming in and doing things pixel-by-pixel.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 05:27:52 pm »

Also, Quickfort

It might not be terribly useful unless you're already fairly used to DF, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to keep any designs that work when you (inevitably) restart 'cause something screwed up.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 05:43:33 pm »

This project interests me and I wish to celebrate you for beginning it.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Saturos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 09:57:24 pm »

Thanks for the tips and support.

If someone could tell me how to (since I have no idea) I could show what I've already done (apart from screw up an ocean).