Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bronze Colossus: The gloves go off  (Read 1210 times)

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bronze Colossus: The gloves go off
« on: August 02, 2010, 11:32:33 pm »

Off of a dwarf slammed into a wall, anyway.  And onto the colossus.

One of my poor dwarves, stuck outside when the bridges raised, attracted the colossus' ire.  Its weapon of choice?  The glove of its first victim.  The colossus proceeded to bitch slap for the next hour, never getting past the skin. My poor Urich McRedcheeks passed out from the constant pain and exhaustion, hungry and dehydrated but never succumbing. 

After constructing some decent defenses, including a magma pit trap, I lowered the bridge... only to have the colossus keep smacking away at McRedcheeks.  Even a stream of people trying to bring him to the hospital couldn't lure him away to my awesomecourse.  I equipped and trained a military, who broke every piece of the colossus but (due to this being pre-fix) couldn't bring it down.  A hammerdwarf remained after the retreat, the newest casualty of the glove.

Annoyed by the FPS decrease, I sent my miners in on a collapse mission, tunnelling around the collosus from below to wall it in and then constructing a massive shaft down to the magma.  While finishing the final sections of the shaft, I made a miscalculation and collapsed a section on my miners, killing them all.  I abandoned the fort.

Death by glove slapping.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
Re: Bronze Colossus: The gloves go off
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 11:34:19 pm »

Clearly he was challenging you to a duel of wits.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 01:59:34 am »

The most deadly tag...

[PIMP]
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 03:39:09 am »

lol

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 01:18:45 pm »

If I was a huge monster who had lived forever, I could also see myself doing this.

Slapping away at some upstarts who think they know what is what.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 01:32:09 pm »

+1 if they were somehow fluffy wambler gloves.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 02:10:48 pm »

That is the greatest death of a fort I have ever heard.

The real thing you should've done though, is you should've made a colloseum while the Colossus was slapping Redcheeks to death, kept the colossus in place with another sacrifice to The Glove, and then channel cave-inned him into the colloseum and used him as the most painful execution method.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.