Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Useful Lever link Tip  (Read 1195 times)

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Useful Lever link Tip
« on: August 04, 2010, 08:26:28 pm »

Just discovered something that people may like. We're all aware of the annoying issue when trying to link a lever to a bridge or floodgate or such, when the cursor doesn't point to the correct location. up until now I have been making all of my bridges etc out of differing materials to combat the issue. Well I found that when choosing which e.g. bridge to link up, if you scroll your mouse wheel, the game will centre on the relevant construction.

I found this handy. I hope that all you that didn't know this, also do. (Hope that this is not in the wrong subforum)
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Matazat

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:DARK_BEDROOM][DIET:RAMEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Useful Lever link Tip
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:09:40 pm »

I just link things as soon as they're built so I can just pick the one on the bottom of the list.

Once you hit enter while selecting a bridge/door/etc, the cursor properly goes to it. You can then cancel the selection if it wasn't the one you wanted.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 10:32:53 pm »

I don't remember, did the screen center on the selected object in 40d? If it did, and and zooming in and out does indeed center on the relevent lever, then this sounds like a graphics bug, something in Baughn's territory and probably related to the following bugs
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1951
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2095
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 11:49:31 pm by monkeyfetus »
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 10:37:04 pm »

I'm confused.

Every time I link something up I scroll in the list like regular (+/-) and the objects are always highlighted. Not to mention I scroll upwards so I get the most recently built construction in focus.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 10:43:42 pm »

In my experience, pressing 0 on my laptop size keyboard takes me to what it's supposed to be pointing at.

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 02:28:47 am »

I've never had this problem. If it doesn't zoom to the spot, I just tap + then - to zoom to another construction and then back to the one I wanted. Hasn't failed me yet at least.
Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!

Eich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 02:37:03 am »

I have had this problem too, I will try 0 or mousewheel. It certainly is most annoying. Maybe is has something to do with your window size or how many menus you show via TAB...
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 05:31:19 am »

No, it's just a bug, the screen is centered on the previously chosen item in the list. changing the zoom recenters it on the currently chosen item.

Fenwah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 08:19:37 pm »

Awesome! This bug has been annoying the hell out of me, since i tend to build enormous overly elaborate machines in my fortresses

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 10:55:25 pm »

That's a good workaround, thanks.  The list does show in the order the things were built but when you have more than a couple it's easy to lose track.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 10:59:17 pm »

I usually hit TAB a few times.  That clears it for a minute or so.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 04:04:36 am »

Pressing virtualy any button works, I press the NUM 5 button as it has little/no function, it zooms straight to the right item.
My only problem is remembering what I have yet to link.