Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Favorite execution method?  (Read 9136 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite execution method?
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2010, 02:06:54 pm »

Some interesting ideas in here.  I particularly like Fenwah's method of chaining someone up and having them beaten to a pulp by a training weapon, something only the new version really allows for.

Creating training weapons in 40d is easy - make a weapon called "training sword" (or whichever), copy it from the sword entry (or whichever), drop the damage value to about 1/10 of normal, and change the damage type to impact.

I also suggest you not give that weapon to ANY civilization (especially your own), since then, you can get "artifact" training weapons (LAME), and you have to wade through a bunch of them in the trade screen, etc.  Instead, make a reaction that creates it (I made mine require wood and cloth) - this gives the additional bonus of letting you choose the material it's made of (I chose wood).

There you go, a no-quality wooden weapon that does exceedingly little damage.  Actually controlling when dwarves use training weapons and switching out weapons is quite a bit of a pain, though...  :-(

The reason it's only really possible in this version is because of how the body system works now.  Before, you could take out anything in one or two whacks with a good hammer.  Nowadays you've really got to get lucky with a blunt weapon in order to do anything other than just bruising, and you no longer have the instakill strikes to primary bodyparts like you did before.  The only way to kill someone with a blunt weapon now is to either cause enough internal bleeding that they bleed out, or smash a bone in just the right way so that splinters go into something important.

And with how materials and areas work for determining damage, you can also make far weaker weapons now than you could before.  But it's still mostly just the physical body reworks that makes this kind of torture accessible.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2010, 02:36:52 pm »

Well, I knew that...I was going to raise the bridges before building the pressure plates, by using basic levers. They should also act as failsafes while I'm building this, so my stumpies don't get squishified by mistake.

No, you simply CAN'T build anything else on a tile that contains another building.  A tile that has a bridge built on it counts as having the bridge there whether the bridge is up or down.  Try it some time.

Really...damn. Maybe a water-powered repeater? Does water activate pressure plates?

I'm thinking of a two-z-level hallway with pressure plates linked to the bridges, with water running through in a loop activating pressure plates. The top level makes the bridge go down, the bottom makes it go up. I can use running water from the local brook to power it.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2010, 03:27:15 pm »

Let`s think..

1. A 15 Z Level fall right through all the living quarters on a golden altar in the middle of the dining room.

2. The Ice cells: A pool of water. In the winter it freezes, killing the prisoners.

3. Dropping prisoners from the walls right onto some spikes; Preferably during a siege.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]