Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Doomed?  (Read 654 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Doomed?
« on: July 29, 2010, 01:48:42 pm »

My civilization appears to lack any notable figures; this may have resulted from the fact that, in an effort to stop constant extinctions, I ended history at 50 years.

I just got my second elven caravan, and have yet to receive a single dwarven one. I've gotten migrants, but none for several seasons, and I understand they're tied to the caravan.

My site has everything it needs, but without more dwarves I'll never be able to do much. Do I need to just give up on this fortress now, or will caravans eventually come, or will migrants show up regardless?

EDIT:

...And the guy that came with the Elven Caravan claims to be from the mountainhome.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 01:57:38 pm by FreakyCheeseMan »
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Doomed?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 02:07:37 pm »

Have you made any modifications to the game raws?

Scratch that, read the below.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 02:21:05 pm by 3 »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 02:17:01 pm »

If your civilization lacks any notable figures, and you aren't getting caravans, and you only got a few migrants in the first year or so and none since then, then most likely your civilization is dead.  Don't be fooled by the elf, he's lying.  (There's a bug in the liaison/diplomat code that causes trade liaisons from all civilizations to claim to be from the mountainhome).  The dwarves on your fortress now are the last ones in the world.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 02:25:11 pm »

I don't think they're extinct. Again, I only ran history to 50 years, and while it was a slightly more dangerous world than average (I think I upped titans from 33 to 40, and increased caves by 50%-100%), the short timespan was enough to guarantee that elves and goblins survived on every one of a number of gens, and I'm given to understand that they die easy.

Also, prior to embark I checked neighbors- I saw dwarves listed, and there were several civilizations I could choose from.

Finally, the civs screen still lists a group of dwarves- it just says they have no notable figures.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 02:27:22 pm »

My advice is to make a copy of the save, load the fortress and abandon it, and then check legends mode.  See what the history of your civilization is and if they actually have any notable leaders or mountainhomes left.  I actually like to do this before I start a fortress in the first place to see what civilizations to expect.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 02:30:59 pm »

Alright.

So... I *really* want to keep this fortress. Modifications to some of the raws will still take effect, right? If it turns out it's impossible for me to get more migrants, would it be reasonable to mod dwarves to breed like bunnies and grow up in a year or two, to give me an all-native fortress population?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 02:43:02 pm »

You'll need to modify the raws in your save folder to affect that save. The parent raws that exist in \raws only affect new worlds.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 03:03:03 pm »

Ok... discussing that in the modding forum now.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 08:55:43 am »

My current fortress is similar, and I'm in the early summer of my 4th year and going strong with just 15 adult dwarves and no traders yet, so it's not hopeless. I wound up closing my dwarves off from the outside world, since there's no way to make a substantial military with so few of them to spare (at least as far as I know; I'm pretty new), and breached and immediately sealed up the cavern level to trigger trees growing in dirt-floored areas of my fortress. The only modification that I've made, other than genning the world with a flora and fauna expansion pack, has been to mod all exotic pets to be regular pets, and that's not really relevant to my success - I've hardly slaughtered animals for food, exotic or not, and my shiny new war mastadons haven't fought at all.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.