Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Attached to Weapon: Changes in new patch?  (Read 1342 times)

Tessien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Attached to Weapon: Changes in new patch?
« on: July 27, 2010, 05:51:45 pm »

I thought that dwarves who grew attached to a weapon wouldn't relinquish it.

In my fort I spent a long while using copper weapons, so a number of my dwarves grew attached to their coppers spears and axes.

Now that I have found cassiterite all my dwarves have upgraded to bronze weapons.

Is this a recent change? Or does getting attached work differently than I thought?

Furthermore, does being attached to a weapon actually provide any benefits?

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Attached to Weapon: Changes in new patch?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 06:37:49 pm »

I'm not sure, but I think they only keep attached weapons when you set it to personal choice.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Tessien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 07:43:55 pm »

Hmm, all my melee dwarves are set to personal choice. Maybe it's because the new bronze items are masterwork? Greed > nostalgia.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 07:47:28 pm »

Have you actually got the  "Urist McDwarf has become attached to his +copper spork+" message?
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Tessien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 08:20:05 pm »

Yeah, it's happened with copper axes twice, a copper crossbow, and a copper shield.

None of them were given a name (that I can see), and none were retained once better equipment started showing up.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 10:56:24 pm »

Mine was only with weapons, I accidently changed one guys and didnt notice for 6 months and he hasnt torn the joint apart yet so I think its ok
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

saru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 03:17:47 am »

Does it show up in their thoughts at all? "Urist McCoppershieldlover had to give up a beloved item" or something of the sort?

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 03:43:24 am »

making them use a specific weapon, and choosing the weapon you want them to have from the list seems to override any attachments they may have. seeing as i use mostly axes, i use this option all the time to stop the bizzare behaviour i kept getting early on in df2010 where woodcutters and miners refusing to use their tools. while some of that is probably fixed im still in the habbit of assigning each dwarf their own weapon.

my dwarves get attached to their copper items a lot, then the iron, then the steel, before/if i change finally to adamantium. this is over something like a 10 year fortress. i havent been paying very close attention to the finer points of the new military system yet, at first it really frustrated me so ive mostly been making awesome new places i can go explore in adventure mode, so i dont know if they get unhappy thoughts from having to give up a weapon. ive never yet had to make a dwarf chuck a named item, so no idea what happens there. i would probably find a way to steal it and drop it into magma if i really wanted my dwarf to change his gear.