Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Diverting/Blocking a river.  (Read 12331 times)

currie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Diverting/Blocking a river.
« on: July 28, 2010, 05:59:03 pm »

Is it possible to completley stop a river? All the sources are on my map and easy to get to. Could I drop rocks ontop of the source to block it completley?

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diverting/Blocking a river.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 06:04:16 pm »

Well, it depends.

1) Does the river ever freeze?

2) Are you willing to blatantly cheat?
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

currie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 06:06:26 pm »

1. No
2. No

Oh well.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 06:09:46 pm »

In that case, I'm pretty sure you are stuck. I'm still pretty nooby here, though, so don't lose hope yet.

When Toady adds in moving fortress parts, dams will be possible. Until then...
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 06:13:41 pm »

It's pretty easy, actually.

1. Dig channel from under river to somewhere it can drain into - either off the edge of the map via fortifications or out a cliff back into the streambed. 

2. Construct a floor above the ground directly over the channel.

3. Cave in the floor.

The floor will punch through the bottom of the river, letting it drain out through the channel.  You can then construct at any point downriver with little to no difficulty.

EDIT - if you want to stop a source, same deal, just build a box around the source and use the method described above to shut off the river outflow and complete the box.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 06:14:02 pm »

Could set up a couple of pumps on each side of the river, then when enough is removed, construct a ramp down to the "dry" side and try to create a wall.  If it's still too wet (2/7 etc), try constructing another two pumps one-level down and a channel infront of the wall you're trying to build, the pumps should stop the water from raising past that point.

I also believe you can construct a support + structure above it and demolish the support, though I've never done it so idk.

Finally, if your river freezes, easy :3.  Channel into it and construct your wall/floodgates.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

Brianide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 07:23:48 pm »

You can dam a river by pumping it back into itself, as demonstrated here. Just don't forget to wall up the output area sufficiently or you'll make a hell of a mess. You don't have to do it directly at the map edge, as the video suggests; I got it to work in the middle of the map.

I haven't tried it since 31.03, but I figure it should still work.