Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Init options for SDL versions  (Read 989 times)

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Init options for SDL versions
« on: July 27, 2010, 09:46:39 am »

Can anyone please explain, when using the SDL version of DF2010, which of the graphics options in the init.txt file are actually useful?  Do I need to turn "GRAPHICS:ON" for instance, to actually use SDL, or is it being used by default?

The comments in the init file seem more to pertain the the old OpenGL engine rather than the new one.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: Init options for SDL versions
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 11:00:17 am »

GRAPHICS:ON enables using a graphics set (for creature graphics). It's independent of SDL.

SDL is always used for setting up the window and for input (except for PRINT_MODE:TEXT (linux only), which runs as a console app), and is used for rendering in PRINT_MODE:2D and PRINT_MODE:2DASYNC. PRINT_MODE:STANDARD, :ACCUM_BUFFER, :FRAME_BUFFER and :VBO all use opengl for actual rendering. No idea about :PARTIAL, it's either based on :STANDARD or :2D.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 11:38:37 am »

GRAPHICS:ON enables using a graphics set (for creature graphics). It's independent of SDL.

SDL is always used for setting up the window and for input (except for PRINT_MODE:TEXT (linux only), which runs as a console app), and is used for rendering in PRINT_MODE:2D and PRINT_MODE:2DASYNC. PRINT_MODE:STANDARD, :ACCUM_BUFFER, :FRAME_BUFFER and :VBO all use opengl for actual rendering. No idea about :PARTIAL, it's either based on :STANDARD or :2D.
So if I have a decent card with up-to-date OpenGL drivers, should I be using one of those other modes as well?  Or is SDL running as 2D the best bet?
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 07:26:16 am »

The comment in the init file says that :STANDARD should be a could blend of speed and reliability. It used to be the default option, too. It's almost always faster than 2D mode.
The other options you'll have to try.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.