Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark Location Requests & Interesting Places (was Ledi being picky) (DF2010)  (Read 2670 times)

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Edit: Okay, turning this into the generic 2010 embark location request/"hey, look what I found!" thread. Worldgen stats and/or seeds in spoilers are appreciated!

Original Post:

Hi all,

I am looking for a very specific type of embark area, one which is so specific I haven't yet been able to find it through all my world genning. I'm beginning to think it's all against me. >.> I'm aware the odds of these things being in the same area is slim, but I'm also hoping someone may have stumbled across it or have a better idea of how to tweak the settings to improve my chances.

This embark point would ideally be 3x3 and include:
  • running surface water (river/brook/stream)
  • a temperate climate (although warm would be acceptable now that the melting dwarf bug is fixed)
  • low evilness and low to mid savagery (I'm not very good with the military yet)
  • a volcano (this is where things start to get picky)
  • obsidian (you don't want to know about the last time I attempted an obsidian farm. You just don't)
  • sand
  • sedimentary flux
  • trees
  • hills/cliffs of some kind (digging down from the grass is undwarvenly!)

The sites I'm trying to gen also only have one cavern layer at max openness and with 10 - 30% water content. I've disabled the "bottom layer" of FPS-breaking as well, as I have no interest in what is down there. I've removed aquifers in the raws so I don't have to deal with them ruining my chances of success.

This mix of features would definitely be my idea of dwarven utopia. I've been tweaking worldgen settings to a lot of volcanoes and a lot of rivers, but have yet to see one in a 3x3 reach of the other, let alone with anything sedimentary nearby (I know that volcanoes seem to banish sedimentary from being nearby, but hope that a biome border may give me what I want).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 04:17:43 am by Ledi »
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Eviltane01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Location request for embark (I'm being really picky) (.31.10)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 10:03:57 am »

i was reading a similar post yesterday and everyone seemed to suggest using the mod  Perfect world. Its supposed to help you generate  your "perfect" world. seeing as you already played with world genning a lot it shouldn't be too difficult.
You can, of course, simply divert the river through your dining hall, if you want to take the easy way out.

daego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 10:12:00 am »

I usually embark on these kind of areas. I use the small region (65x65, I think). I'm at work so I cna't get the exact worldgen.txt but it's roughly:

• Max the X/Y variance of all parameters to 3200
  • ~600 river starts before erosion
  • ~400 river starts after erosion
  • Max volcanoes (200)
  • No ocean/edge ocean/etc
  • Tighter rain/temperature variances (min rain 50, max 100)
  • Volcanism mesh pattern set to '1' except the minimum, set to 2000, and maximum, again at 2000
  • End year at 100 or 200

It can still take several world gens to get it right where the races aren't extinct, and the right biomes overlap. I had one awesome map where the magma pipe "top" was the a few Z levels above my cliff embark (I love digging straight into cliffs).

With this, you should look at the elevation map prior to embarking -- some elevations tend to be very very extreme and plateaus large enough for trees may be hard(ish) to come by. Turning on "periodically erode large cliffs" may help combat this.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 12:52:35 pm »

I have one that I'm playing right now with a river running past the base of a volcano. It has all that you ask for:
A) Brook and volcano separated by 40 some tiles tiles. (Just enough room for a residential and workshop complex.)
B) Marble.
C) Low savagery, neutral alignment.
D) Warm climate.
E) Decent vegetation.
F) Minimal obsidian... But the magma and water are so close that an obsidian farm is simple to set up.
G) Elves that bring alligators.

The stream yields mussels and turtles a plenty. The marble is on the far side of the brook from the volcano. If you make it your first priority, you can get a steel industry going by autumn.

It's loamy sand, so zonable sand tiles are a pain to find.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 02:25:06 pm by caknuck »
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Spider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 01:31:35 pm »

your biggest obstacle is volcano + sedimentary layer. as i understand it volcanos can only apear on very high volcanic areas while sedimentary require low volcanism. and even with the maximum volcanism variance i haven't seen a sedimentary layer right next to a volcano. but i imagine deago's volcanism mesh pattern could work.

i usually just look for osidian next to a sedimentary flux layer and hope for a magma pipe in the first cavern. that's still hard enough to come by. especially with all the other things you (and me too) want.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 02:40:19 pm »

your biggest obstacle is volcano + sedimentary layer. as i understand it volcanos can only apear on very high volcanic areas while sedimentary require low volcanism. and even with the maximum volcanism variance i haven't seen a sedimentary layer right next to a volcano. but i imagine deago's volcanism mesh pattern could work

Yeah, I've had a few maps where I've been near a volcano field, going "limestone, alright! limestone....limestone...limestone... curses, no limestone where there's obsidian. Foiled again!"

And Caknuck, the one thing that map is missing is sedimentary flux. Marble isn't sedimentary. But would you happen to have a seed and embark position for it?
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 06:47:20 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60021.0
This is pretty close, except it doesn't have sand.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 02:18:07 am »

Hmm, should we have a thread for people just requesting/trading embark locations?

For instance, I've got a embark location on my current world that has a demonic fort in the third cavern underneath a tunnel that breaks into the first cavern (checked it out using stonesense's reveal ability).  If I remember correctly, there's even some sedimentary stone at the top for iron/steel.  Honestly, it's not the kind of location I would be able to work with, partly because I'm spoiled and there's no easy access to magma above the fort, but someone might be interested.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 04:29:32 pm »

If people are interested, I just genned a site,

Temperate Grassland, Wilderness Surroundings (One Humped Camels started on the map).

Feautres a brook spanning north and south edges of the map, no aquifers.

Sandy Clay Loam
Black Sand
Gneiss
Quartzite
Diorite
Gneiss
Granite

I changed the raws to have 100 sky layers,
5 layers above layer 1,
and 15 above layer 4  (I want to build my fortress "over" the magma).

I started looking around with reveal and there are two "magma pools" (AKA 40d Magma pipes) that reach up ~20 layers from the magma sea to the 2nd layer of caverns.

Lots of metal, lots of fuel, lots of magma, sand and water.

The map has obsidian, but most of it is containing magma...

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ledi being Picky
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 04:15:04 am »

I usually embark on these kind of areas. I use the small region (65x65, I think). I'm at work so I cna't get the exact worldgen.txt but it's roughly:

• Max volcanoes (200)
  • Volcanism mesh pattern set to '1' except the minimum, set to 2000, and maximum, again at 2000
  • End year at 100 or 200

It can still take several world gens to get it right where the races aren't extinct, and the right biomes overlap. I had one awesome map where the magma pipe "top" was the a few Z levels above my cliff embark (I love digging straight into cliffs).

With this, you should look at the elevation map prior to embarking -- some elevations tend to be very very extreme and plateaus large enough for trees may be hard(ish) to come by. Turning on "periodically erode large cliffs" may help combat this.

Deon, do you just accept all problems that it has and run with the maps as they are created, or have you certain tweaks to make it acceptable to the worldgen overlord? I'm getting a lot of rejects, and no accepteds at all. Any advice?

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ledi being Picky
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 11:56:08 am »

• Max volcanoes (200)
  • End year at 100 or 200

Deon, do you just accept all problems that it has and run with the maps as they are created, or have you certain tweaks to make it acceptable to the worldgen overlord? I'm getting a lot of rejects, and no accepteds at all. Any advice?

Make the ranges 0, and that should help.  It's at the bottom of the entry if you're using the world_gen.txt
Code: [Select]
[RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:0]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did as suggested, still getting a lot of errors, just forcing the game to accept it anyway. Can't count how many worlds I've gone through trying to get the area I'm looking for. Just finding the volcano and water in a 3x3 is hard enough. XD

Edit: Argh, so close! The volcano was collapsed though, so it still would have been a 70 Z-level pump. ;.;
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:24:49 am by Ledi »

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's one of my (not so successful) attempts...

4x4
Temperate climate (snow in early spring)
Limestone
Empty Volcano - around a 40ish zlevel drop through the cavern layer (only one cavern) to the magma sea.
Brook
Sand
Obsidian
Trees

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The1nk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If this is truly a request thread.. I have a request! :P

I'm having issues looking for an embark that gets frequent goblin ambushes, lots of aggressive wildlife, with a possible volcano ? Volcano isn't a necessity, but I want *lots* of aggressive wildlife and *lots* of fighting!

..I embarked on a few Terrifying/Haunted/Sinister biomes with no success as to severely aggressive wildlife. The best I've gotten is a map that over a 6 year period brought me 3 Werewolves, and a few snatchers. I captured two of the werewolves in Cage Traps, and my hunter downed the third magically. Somehow, I also captured a Raccoon. Not very aggressive. :P

I might actually have to look into some mods to provide more aggression and reasons for defense + military. I'm currently running .31.10, though I shall be upgrading to .11 soon, due to the sparring + training fixes. Anyone have any recommendations for aggression adding mods? :P

Thanks!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile

Here's one of my (not so successful) attempts...

4x4
Temperate climate (snow in early spring)
Limestone
Empty Volcano - around a 40ish zlevel drop through the cavern layer (only one cavern) to the magma sea.
Brook
Sand
Obsidian
Trees

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You ought to read other threads. You need HFS for volcanoes with lava.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.