Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nothing exciting happens  (Read 1657 times)

iBagel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Nothing exciting happens
« on: July 31, 2010, 08:59:44 am »

Had multiple 4+year old forts and have amassed small mountains of valuables, engraved every wall in the fortress and did all I can to piss off elf traders. However during all this time ive only had 1 mega beast turn up from digging into a 3rd level cavern.
No sieges
No titans
No raids
No nothing..

Its really getting boring..

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing exciting happens
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 09:03:25 am »

How big's your population? Also, do you have any hostile civilizations nearby and not extinct?

You need a population of 80 for sieges, 80 for titans (can be lowered at world gen), and of course a hostile civilization for ambushes/sieges.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 09:12:52 am »

Do you have invasions turned off? it might just to (bad) luck aswell.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 09:29:14 am »

Try embarking from a civilization that's at war already; you might have your locations narrowed down to be in range of the other civ, but they'll send ambushes and would probably move on to sieges if given time. I've seen an ambush as early as the second spring.

You might also want to open the caverns early on, before the military is experienced, and then leave them alone (or even settle down in the caverns). I had eighteen dwarves in the first autumn, and I was down to three functioning dwarves by the end of winter, all thanks to one giant olm. It might be shortlived fun, though.

Are you getting ambushes from at least the goblins? Just keep slaughtering them and get richer in the meantime, and eventually it should lead to sieges. As for the elves, if they still send a representative, trying killing him/her. That might anger them enough.

iBagel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 09:34:51 am »

Only one of the fortresses ever got over 80 dwarves, I seem to have bad luck when it comes to migrants too.... and i dont even get ambushes...

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 09:41:28 am »

If you embark on a continent (or world) without goblins then they can't attack you. Remember to check this when embarking. If a world doesn't have enough goblins for my tastes I gen a new one.

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 11:25:51 am »

Slaughter the caravans, garuntee wars

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 11:43:17 am »

Also, I think that can happen if you embark on islands unconnected from civilization...
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 11:55:12 am »

Also, I think that can happen if you embark on islands unconnected from civilization...

Yep.  I settled on an island with only dwarves; nothing except titans and various underground creatures show up.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 12:36:40 pm »

Also, during world gen, pay attention to this: The more caves, the more megabeasts, the fewer (potentially hostile) civilisations. And vice versa, of course.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!