Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blue lower spine...  (Read 1090 times)

Buckermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blue lower spine...
« on: July 26, 2010, 04:55:25 am »

One of my engravers got stabbed in the lower spine by a dirty thief. He was promptly hauled to the intensive care unit and received all necessary treatment. Now his lower spine is blue; structurally intact but lost all function.
As this is nerve damage it is very unlikely (impossible?) to heal. But I wonder if he will ever leave the hospital bed, or if he is confined to it for the rest of his life.
Art reflects life, and then menaces with spikes.

nooblet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Blue lower spine...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 05:59:12 am »

Not entirely sure but i think he will be. In the old version a red spinal injury would mean you had a permanent invalid, and i think blue is basically the same as red in the new version.

Murgen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 07:26:24 am »

I'm not sure entirely what blue is supposed to represent, but from my experience, blue injuries tend to heal, though I have never seen a blue spine.  Usually just livers, guts, and eyes.
The Gremlin punches The Dog in the head with her left hand, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
Monom Edtulsolon, Dog (Tame) has been struck down.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 09:10:23 am »

keep an eye on him and report back to us on what happens, that way we can report it for the wiki =3 blue injuries being new and all :P
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Buckermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 09:44:41 am »

keep an eye on him and report back to us on what happens, that way we can report it for the wiki =3 blue injuries being new and all :P
Will do. May take a while though, 120 Urists tend to slow done the gameplay a little for me. But I placed a gold statue of him near his bed, maybe that will speed up the healing process...

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 10:29:47 am »

I don't know about a blue spine, but check out his "status" on the health-care screen. Here's one for a dwarf who is permenantely stuck in bed (well, has been stuck for almost 3 years with no improvement):
  • Ability to stand lost
  • Motor nerve damage
  • Sensory nerve damage
His wound (as far as I can tell after the fact) was just to his left leg. Plenty of crutches about, and my doctors have otherwise preformed admirably. But I suspect the "motor nerve damage" led to the permanent "ability to stand lost" with no recourse but magma.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 10:30:54 am »

Oh, man. Can you imagine increased doctor functionality?

[A]pply magma to left lower leg.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Ahp77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 11:41:09 am »

I don't know about a blue spine, but check out his "status" on the health-care screen. Here's one for a dwarf who is permenantely stuck in bed (well, has been stuck for almost 3 years with no improvement):
  • Ability to stand lost
  • Motor nerve damage
  • Sensory nerve damage
His wound (as far as I can tell after the fact) was just to his left leg. Plenty of crutches about, and my doctors have otherwise preformed admirably. But I suspect the "motor nerve damage" led to the permanent "ability to stand lost" with no recourse but magma.

Also, you may find that there is "no treatment scheduled", yet s/he retains the injury.

Buckermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 12:21:21 pm »

Ability to stand lost, but "only" heavy bruising to the spine; nothing severed or broken. This makes me ever so slightly optimistic.
And I will never throw her (just noticed that the dwarf in question is female) into the magma. She engraved "The Greatest Beer"! Although I have no clue what this engraving is about, the name alone makes it special enough the she will be cared for for the rest of her natural life. No "accidents".
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:48:58 pm by Buckermann »

TopRamen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 02:27:16 pm »

"The Greatest Beer"  :D I like that

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 09:07:06 am »

I recall in 40d nervous system injuries never healed, even the most minor injuries.  If that is still the case in DF2010 then, alas, that will not heal.

KD

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 10:19:47 am »

Blue nerve damage CAN heal, I've seen an Ogre do it right in front of me.
There IS hope!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.